How great would it be if we could all hang out in my kitchen and you could taste the recipes I post here in person? It’s one of my fondest wishes, especially when I’m making bold, borderline-suspect claims…like the fact that today’s Beet Smoothie recipe is completely delicious, and you should try it even if you don’t like beets.
A sip! Just a sip. Pretend we are in the kitchen together, and I’m offering it to you. You’ll be a Beet Smoothie believer too, I can feel it.
Since I don’t have this luxury, I’m going to call on our virtual circle of trust and assure you that this Beet Smoothie is creamy, sweet, and scrumptious.
Like their cousins sweet potatoes and carrots, beets have a natural sweetness that makes them a good choice for dessert and breakfast endeavors. After having success baking with beets to make a Pink Cake (SO YUMMY), a smoothie felt like the next step.
After all, I love this Carrot Smoothie. Why not try something similar with beets?
How to Make the Best Beet Smoothie
To make this smoothie plenty sweet and not so (how do I put this delicately?) beet-y, I added plenty of other fresh ingredients:
- Blueberries. Sweet, fruity, and a delightful pairing with our lovely beets.
- Pineapple. The magical smoothie fruit. No matter what other, erm, questionable, ingredients you add to a smoothie, pineapple sweetens and smooths their flavor. Need proof? Check out the reviews on this Kale Pineapple Smoothie.
- Greek Yogurt. Creaminess + filling protein. If you’d like the Beet Smoothie vegan, you can omit it or use a dairy-free yogurt.
- Honey. If you are a diehard beet-lover you may be happy without it, but for those who like a sweeter smoothie, feel free to add to taste.
Are you ready?
In case you still need convincing…
Beet Smoothie Benefits
- Beets are low in calories and a great source of nutrients, including folate, potassium, vitamin C, and more.
- Beets may help lower blood pressure.
- Antioxidant party! Beets and blueberries are both high in antioxidants, so you are getting a double dose of these super stars. Beet Smoothie detox time.
- Beets are high in fiber, so this smoothie will keep you satisfied. If you are considering a Beet Smoothie for weightloss, this recipe could be a good option for you.
Plus, you are receiving the wonderful benefits of the pineapples and blueberries at the same time (more vitamins! extra nutrients! anti-inflammatory! digestive support!).
A Note on Blending This Smoothie
To make the smoothie as fast as possible to prepare, I developed it as a raw Beet Smoothie recipe, so you don’t need to cook the beets first. I find cutting the beet into a rough dice works fine if you are using a Vitamix or similar high-powered blender.
If you are making this smoothie in a lower-powered, regular blender, I’d suggest chopping the beets more finely and adding them a little at a time.
For easy blending guaranteed, you can also make a cooked beet smoothie. Cut the beet into large chunks and steam or lightly boil the pieces until they are tender, then chill them so that your smoothie stays nice and frosty. Cooked beets last several days in the refrigerator, so you can certainly prep a few servings in advance.
I haven’t experimented with a canned beet smoothie yet, mostly because I’m not wild about the flavor of canned beets. If you are a fan, you can certainly play around with that route.
More Favorite Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipes
- Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
- Apple Avocado Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Pie Smoothie
- Berry Turmeric Smoothie
Recommended Tools to Make this Smoothie
- For the smoothest blending, I recommend a high powered blender like a Vitamix, Blendtec, or KitchenAid Proline.
- If you do not have a high powered blender, see “A Note on Beet Smoothie Blending” above.
**Beet smoothie benefits cited primarily from this article and this article and are meant to be a guide and reference. I’m not a registered dietician or nutritionist and can’t make specific dietary recommendations. For specific weightless or other recommendations, I definitely checking with a doctor or specialist. I am, however, and experienced beet smoothie drinker and can certainly recommend it as a wholesome and satisfying start to your day!**