Unsure methods to freeze okra? No worries, I’ve acquired you coated! Freezing okra to be used later is a fast and straightforward method to hold this veggie readily available within the kitchen effectively previous these scorching summer time months that okra loves a lot! And this methodology of placing up okra within the freezer comes with out the recent water blanching. Test it out!
Learn how to Freeze Contemporary Okra
Okra, the jewel of the southern backyard, can get a foul rap for being… effectively, slimy. You’ll discover that most individuals are both okra lovers or haters, and fortunately most of my household is within the lover class. (Significantly if mentioned vegetable is fried, ahem.) For those who’ve ever grown okra within the backyard, then you understand that after it begins coming in, it may be tough to eat all of it.
As soon as you start to reap okra (try my put up right here on when to reap) you may have just a few days to make use of it earlier than it begins turning brown and mushy in spots. Studying methods to freeze okra to be used later is straightforward as pie due to my granny.
Granny imparted her okra-preserving knowledge on me for this “recipe.” She doesn’t hold monitor of oven temperatures or what number of minutes it ought to be in there, so there was a little bit of testing on my finish. However the end result was non-slimy okra able to go within the freezer in quarter-hour from begin to end. Voila! So in case you’re having a busy week, and unable to prepare dinner okra earlier than it goes dangerous, right here’s a straightforward method to know methods to freeze okra to be used later.
Are you able to freeze okra with out cooking it?
The quick reply is sure, however I might advise towards it. The method of baking (or blanching if you wish to go that route) helps break down enzymes within the okra. Breaking these down helps protect the flavour and texture of the okra itself. So although it’s an additional step, I extremely suggest it!
Directions for Freezing Okra
- Preheat oven to 300 levels. Wash your tender okra pods in cool water and drain in a colander. As soon as comparatively dry, transfer them to a reducing board, and resolve the way you’d like to chop them.
- Minimize okra and place on rimmed baking sheet. I like to chop mine into 1/2 inch items for straightforward use in smoothies and soups. (For those who’ve by no means had frozen okra in a smoothie, you’re completely lacking out. The Trim Wholesome Mama guide launched me to this.)
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 3-4 minutes. You simply need the okra items warmed via, not cooked.
- Take away the pan from the oven and permit to chill for a couple of minutes. The moisture that was on the okra has dried a bit after the quick time within the oven, and as soon as cool, they’re prepared for the freezer.
- Place cooled okra in labeled freezer baggage, and use all through the autumn and winter as wanted!
Okra Freezing Choices:
- For those who favor fried okra (or “oven fried”) then you’ll be able to go forward and coat your cooled okra in cornmeal earlier than placing it within the freezer baggage.
- For freezing okra complete, lower off the tops and heat the pods within the oven. Then freeze as ordinary.
These freezing directions are nice for these rising okra in your house gardens. But it surely additionally is ideal in case you occur to seize some recent okra out of your native farmer’s market. Contemporary is recent, and shopping for native veggies in season is at all times higher than shipped-from-who-knows-where out of season. So purchase up (or decide) that okra now and “put it up” (as we southerners say) to be used later.
How lengthy does it take to prepare dinner frozen okra?
There actually isn’t a lot distinction within the time it takes to prepare dinner frozen okra versus recent. A number of extra minutes within the oven or within the pot/skillet ought to do the trick. For my oven roasted okra recipe, I might add only a few minutes, or till the perimeters start to brown.
I’d like to know what your favourite okra dish is. Remark beneath and let me know, as a result of I’m at all times in search of information methods to make use of this tremendous vegetable!