Can you fry canned potatoes? While canned potatoes are a kitchen staple for many, there are some people that are not so familiar with them. If you’ve found a tin lurking at the back of your kitchen cupboard then you might be wondering what you can do with them to make them a bit more interesting.
There are lots of reasons canned potatoes (or sometimes called tinned potatoes) are so popular. Being canned means they last a really long time, far longer than fresh potatoes. This makes them a perfect kitchen staple if you can’t get to the shops often.
Reading: how to fry canned potatoes
They can also be great if you like to stock up on canned goods in case of emergency, like very heavy snow in winter.
As canned potatoes are already cooked, they a quick and easy to reheat something which can be done either on the stove-top in a small pan or in the microwave in a bowl or plastic container. This makes them perfect if you’re limited on time and don’t want to peel and cook fresh potatoes.
Canned potatoes are also perfect for camping trips as they keep well and can be reheated on a camping stove.
Even if your canned potatoes are past their best before end date they should still be safe to eat, as this is only an indicator of food quality, rather than food safety.
Can You Fry Canned Potatoes?
Yes, you can fry canned potatoes. The fact they are already cooked means this is really simple and easy to do and frying makes them extra delicious.
How To Fry Canned Potatoes
Here is how to make fried canned potatoes.
- Open the canned potatoes and drain. Personally, I liked to give them a little bit of a rinse under the tap.
- Dry the potatoes using a clean tea towel. Gently pat off some of the excess moisture as this really helps the potatoes crisp up.
- Cut any larger potatoes in half (or all of the potatoes into slices if you prefer) and then add to a good non-stick frying pan with a TBSP of oil (this can be vegetable oil or olive oil). Season using salt and pepper. You could also add dried or fresh herbs such as rosemary or sage.
- Fry the canned potatoes over medium-high heat until they are a lovely golden brown colour. Turn often either by gently shaking the pan or using kitchen tongs.
- Serve immediately. These make a perfect addition to a cooked breakfast or side dish for an omelette.
Fried canned potatoes are delicious with any dish, but we tend to serve them with a fry up or as a side with an omelette.
If you want to go all out and make the fried canned potatoes extra special, you could try frying them up with some small pieces of bacon or ham and some onions. They can also be fried and then added to an omelette or frittata.
Frying canned potatoes is a great way to use them up and make them a bit more interesting in the process. Fried canned potatoes are definitely a firm favourite in our household!