This microwave fried egg recipe is the closest you’ll get to a pan fried egg without frying it. It’s super easy and it only takes 1 minute! It was one of the first microwave recipes I learned as a university student, simplified from the microwave scrambled egg recipe shown to me by my big sis.
As a side note – you’ve got to be careful before cooking microwave fried egg. When cooking whole eggs in the microwave, always pierce the yolk with a fork a few times to break its skin and cover it with a paper towel. I discovered early on that if this step is skipped, microwave eggs become pretty egg-cited and will tend to splatter themselves all over the inner walls of the microwave oven.
Reading: how to fry eggs in microwave
So, to cook fried eggs in the microwave follow the steps below…
Some further health info about eggs can be found here.
- Microwave safe bowl or cup
- Sheet of paper towel
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil (any type is fine)
Read more: Queso Frito (Fried Cheese) | Family Cuisine
Select your microwave oven’s power to get the correct timingPower 500W 600W 700W 750W 800W 850W 900W 950W 1000W 1250W 1500W Total Cooking Time = 1 mins, 0 secs
- Swirl the oil around in the bowl
- Crack the egg into the bowl and break the yolk (you can also add a little salt, pepper, tomato sauce or other enhancements at this step.
- Cover with a kitchen towel. (It is very important to break the yolk and cover as intact eggs will pop like a balloon when microwaved)
- Place in the microwave oven on full power for 1 minute.
- Stand for 1 minute to allow the microwave fried egg to settle down a bit.
To Serve Microwave Fried Egg
To serve, place the microwave fried egg onto a nice buttered bed of toast perhaps with some microwave crispy bacon. If for any reason you didn’t add any sauce before you started cooking, then now’s the time to do so. I like to add a blob of tomato ketchup or a few drops of hot pepper sauce to jazz it up some.
Microwave Fried Egg Tips
If your microwave fried egg is too runny for your liking, add another 10 seconds to the cooking time. Don’t overdo it though because it will end up looking like something which could only be considered fit for the bin. If you prefer a softer yolk in your microwave fried egg, reduce the cooking time to no less than 40 seconds unless you’re trying to prepare a slightly warm raw egg recipe. I personally do not advise this due to the risk of food poisoning.