Grilled avocado is the trick you didn’t know you needed! Top them with pico de gallo as a side, or use for smoky guacamole. Here’s how to grill an avocado.
It’s grilling season and surprise! We’ve got an important message for you. Next time you fire up the grill: GRILL SOME AVOCADOS. Yes, this magical green fruit just got even more magical! Grilling an avocado infuses a smoky flavor into every bite: and turns the bottom a bright green color! Here’s how to make grilled avocado and a few ideas on how to use them!
Reading: how to grill avocado slices
How to grill avocado
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Ready? I’m not obsessed with avocado. Gasp! I know, I know, avocado is seriously all the rage right now. Something about the texture throws me off. However, I do love me some guacamole and some avocado toast. And guess what? I also really like grilled avocado.
Read more: How long to grill veggies in foil
Grilling the avocado infuses a smoky flavor that I’m all about. (I’ve talked extensively about how smoke is my favorite flavor.) It is also a very easy side dish and takes only 5 minutes to grill! Consider it for all your summer potlucks and barbecues!
Here’s how to grill avocados:
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. (See the video below for safe pit removal!)
- Place the avocado on the grill cut side down. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes until grill marks form.
- Remove from the grill and serve! See suggestions below.
Video: How to cut an avocado
Wondering how to remove an avocado pit the best way? We have a great method for safe avocado pit removal in the beginning of this video: and then keep watching if you’d like to see how to cut it into slices.
Top ways to serve grilled avocado
How to serve grilled avocado? Of course, you can serve it literally right off the grill. We’d suggest drizzling with olive oil and then sprinkling with a little chili powder or some cayenne for some heat! If you’re looking for something a little fancier, here are a few other ways to serve them:
- Top with Black Bean Pico de Gallo. Wouldn’t this look lovely? As a plant-based main or side dish, adding beans would add protein to make it more filling. A similar option: Black Bean and Corn Salsa Fresca.
- Add Roasted Tomato Salsa and sour cream. Yum city! If you’re wanting to go plant-based, a dollop of cashew cream would be perfection. Want to spice it up? Use Pineapple Salsa or Mango Salsa instead.
- Make into Smoky Guacamole. I mean, how can you resist?
- Throw them into tacos! Might we suggest one of our 10 Best Vegan & Vegetarian Tacos, like Quinoa Tacos or Cauliflower Tacos?
- Make them into Avocado Grilled Cheese for a glamorous take on this classic.
There are loads of other ways to serve grilled avocado: how would you serve them?
Read more: Green mountain grill vs traeger
Let us know in the comments! What else to do with an avocado? Head over our Best Easy Avocado Recipes to learn more about how to use this tasty fruit.
This grilled avocado recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free.
Looking for more easy side dish recipes?
Here are a few more easy side dish recipes for potlucks and cookouts!
Read more: how to keep a grill hot | Family Cuisine
- Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- Incredible Chopped Salad
- Cucumber Salad with Vinegar
- BBQ Grilled Cauliflower (or Grilled Cauliflower)
- Favorite Potato Salad
- Mexican Quinoa
- Watermelon Salad with Feta & Cucumber
- Greek Salad
- Summer Panzanella
- Easy Bean Salad
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Rice & Lentil Salad
- Best Tossed Salad Recipe with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Easy Summer Sides
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- French Potato Salad