Grilled lamb ribs marinated with garlic, herbs and lemon are savory and absolutely mouthwatering. If you’ve never tried lamb ribs before, now is the time!
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Lamb ribs. I buy lamb riblets/individual ribs as they are much easier to cook than a whole rack. If using a whole rack, you’ll need to grill it low and slow (for approximately 2 hours) to allow the connective tissue and fat to soften and render out. You can ask your butcher to cut the rack of lamb into riblets.
- Oil. I used olive oil but canola, grapeseed or avocado will also work.
- Lemon juice.
- Mixed dried herbs. The mix I used contains oregano, parsley, rosemary, marjoram, sage and thyme.
- Garlic cloves.
- Smoked paprika.
- Chilli flakes.
How to grill lamb ribs
- Make the marinade: Finely chop the herbs and garlic then place in a bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, smoked paprika and chilli flakes then season generously with salt and pepper. Place the lamb ribs in a dish suitable for marinating then pour over the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Grill the ribs: Grill the ribs over medium-hot heat for 20-30 minutes. It’s important to allow the fat to render out to give you the juiciest end result possible. If your ribs are browning too quickly, move them to a cooler part of the grill to avoid burning. If your grill/braai/barbecue has a lid, close it during cooking to help with the cooking. Grill halved lemons with the ribs. They are just delicious when used to add more zing to the ribs once cooked.
- Serve: Once the ribs are cooked, remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve with grilled lemons.
How long to cook lamb ribs
Single ribs shouldn’t take longer than 20-30 minutes to cook when grilled over medium-high heat. The ribs are cooked when the meat is succulent and cooked through. I like to make sure the lamb is golden, caramelized with crispy fat.
- Garlic rosemary grilled lamb chops
- Sesame sumac lamb chops
- Easy sticky lamb ribs