Everyone’s summer favorite just got way better! We all love a big, classic juicy burger, but these Bacon Cheese Stuffed Burgers really kick things up a notch. Get ready for your taste buds to go crazy! These burgers are everything – SO juicy, incredibly flavorful and super easy. And don’t forget my secret burger sauce!
We take cookouts very seriously, here in Texas! Especially, during the summer, we’re always outside grilling chicken, salmon and these MUST try stuffed burgers. My family requests these burger all summer long!
Reading: how to grill stuffed burgers
There are few things better in life than a juicy burger, fresh off the grill. I know you agree! These bacon cheese stuffed burgers are what we grilled for our Mother’s Day cookout and then again for our Memorial Day celebration this past weekend. They turn out so flipping delicious, the whole family was raving about them. They’re definitely going to be a regular cookout item. And I’m pretty sure, I’ll be eating them all summer long!
If you love a juicy burger – this recipe is for you. The combination of cheese and bacon cooked right into the burger makes them EXTRA juicy and then the secret sauce takes this burger to the next level of delicious!
Stuffed Burger Recipe
Making the perfect juicy burger doesn’t require tons of ingredients or special equipment. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this stuffed burger recipe:
- Ground meat – good quality ground meat is a must if you are looking to make the most juicy, flavorful burgers. I buy grass-fed beef and I opt for 96/4 lean beef. The added cheese and bacon will keep these lean burgers plenty juicy without being overly greasy. Feel free to use any type of ground meat you prefer.
- Flavor creators – to take these burgers to the next level, we’re adding in chopped cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and salt + pepper.
- Buns – Challah buns are soft and flavorful and work great with burgers. But feel free to use any favorite type of bun. (You could even wrap your burger in lettuce for a low carb option.) I recommend spreading a little butter on each half and then lightly grilling them for the best taste and texture.
- Cheese – even though we’re stuffing these burgers with shredded cheese, the burgers don’t cook up super cheesy. Stuffing them with cheese does keep them amazingly juicy, but if you really want a cheesy burger, add a slice of cheese to the top during the last minute or two of grilling.
- Burger sauce – my burger sauce is made from basic ingredients that truly make this the BEST burger. You’ll need mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle juice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt & pepper and cayenne pepper (if you like a little spice).
- Toppings – use your favorites here. We love lettuce, tomato, and red onions.
Looking for a healthier burger? Check out my other burger recipes: Easy Turkey Burgers, Zucchini Turkey Burgers, Chicken Parmesan Burgers, Black Bean Veggie Burgers, and Salmon Avocado Burgers.
How to make stuffed burgers with bacon and cheese:
Just a few simple steps and you’re well on your way to a killer burger!
- Cook the bacon – we want the bacon cooked, but not cooked so long that it becomes crispy. It will continue to cook and release flavor in the burgers.
- Make the burger patties – add chopped bacon, beef, shredded cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and combine. I use my hands to evenly disperse the ingredients. Do not over mix the meat because you’ll run the risk of ending up with a tough burger. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour – This will help the burgers keep their shape on the grill.
- Grilling time – over direct heat, 3 minutes per side, or until burgers register 160ºF.
How to grill burgers
My husband, Brad, is actually the grill master in our household, but here’s how it goes down.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Place patties on the grill. Only flip one time and after about 3 minutes.
- If using, place sliced cheese on top of patties in the last minute or two of cooking.
- Butter buns and grill until golden. This will most likely only take about 30 seconds.
- Assemble your burgers with your favorite burger toppings!
How long to grill burgers
If you’re using 1/4 pound ground beef per burger, the grill times (per side) below will ensure you have your perfect burger.
- Medium rare – 2-3 minutes. It’s okay and safe for your burger to be pink in the middle as long as it has reached an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Medium – 3-4 minutes. I like my burgers barely pink in the center and about 3 minutes per side usually does the trick.
- Well done – 5-6 minutes. In my opinion, an overcooked burger is a dry, ruined burger, but I know there are people that like a burger well done.
Adding sauce to my burger is actually a new thing for me. I’ve always been a mayo girl, but after making this sauce for a family gathering, I’ll never go back to just plain mayo on my burger! This sauce is epic and will elevate the flavor of any burger recipe. And it’s so easy to whip up!
While the burgers are firming up a bit in the fridge, make the burger sauce. Simply, stir mayonnaise together with ketchup, pickle juices, garlic powder, paprika and salt & pepper to taste. Store the sauce in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Assemble the perfect burger
Once you’ve mixed together the burger sauce, prep all of the burger fixings. Slice tomatoes, wash and tear lettuce, slice the onion, and get together anything else you want to serve with the burgers, like pickles and all of the condiments.
To assemble your perfect burger, add plenty of burger sauce (or whatever condiment you prefer) to the bottom bun, then add lettuce. Next, stack the burger patty on top of the lettuce. Top the patty with any other desired toppings and add the top of the hamburger bun. Enjoy!
Tips For The Best Stuffed Burgers
- I use 90% lean ground grass-fed beef. It has plenty of flavor but is not overly greasy. You can use any ground meat that you prefer, even ground turkey or chicken.
- Burger patties should be evenly formed and more wide than thick. The patties will shrink up as they cook.
- While grilling, DO NOT push or press on your burger. When you press on it, all of the juices leave the burger and this can lead to dry burgers. It’s a good idea to have a food thermometer, so you don’t have to worry about making sure the juices run clear.
- The stuffed burger patties can be made up to 8 hours in advance and feel free to double the recipe, if you’re serving a crowd.
Side dishes that pair perfectly with burgers
You have the perfect summer burger, now what are you going to serve with it? Here are some of our favorite burger sides.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries – these are so good, but you can always bake up some store-bought fries!
Grandma’s Best Potato Salad – always a cookout favorite.
Best Deviled Eggs – because in my family deviled eggs go with everything.
Reduced Guilt Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip – break out the chips + veggies with this delicious yogurt dip!
Best Coleslaw Recipe – the perfect coleslaw to go with your yummy burgers.
Greek Pasta Salad – fresh, flavorful and perfect for serving a crowd!
Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – don’t forget a little something sweet after the burgers!
If you try my stuffed burgers, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves them as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.