Grilling thin or sliced vegetables on the barbecue can be tricky thanks to their tendency to slip through the cooking grates. Instead, try grilling them in foil packets. This method requires minimal attention and your vegetables will actually be more tender and flavorful. And as a bonus, clean up is a breeze!
Foil packet grilling is dead simple: simply lay down a sheet of tin foil, fill it with your veggie of choice, season with olive oil or butter, salt and pepper or whatever seasonings you like best, seal it up, and toss it on the grill.
Here’s how to perfectly grill vegetables in a foil pack:
Ingredients and Materials
Here’s a complete list of what you’ll need to grill vegetables in a foil packet (minus your grill, of course).
- Assorted vegetables — Almost any type of vegetable can be grilled using this method, but it works especially well for smaller vegetables like baby carrots, green beans, or sugar snap peas. Larger vegetables like potatoes, zucchini, and bell peppers also work, but they should be sliced or diced in to smaller pieces before sealing them in the foil packet.
- Herbs and spices — Salt and pepper is all you need, but try using rosemary, thyme, garlic, or even cayenne for an extra kick. Get creative!
- Olive oil or butter — Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil or toss a few small knobs of butter in with the raw vegetables.
- Heavy duty tin foil — Thinner aluminum foil tears easily, so be sure to use a heavy duty foil. If you don’t have heavy foil, use two layers of regular aluminum foil.
- Tongs — Use a good pair of tongs help take your foil packets off the grill.
Preparing the Vegetables
- Gather and wash your vegetables.
- Slice and dice the larger vegetables so that they’re all approximately the same size and thickness. This will ensure that all the veggies cook at the same rate.
- In a large bowl, add a bit of olive oil and season the vegetables with your favorite herbs and spices. Toss it around in the bowl.
Preparing the Foil Packet
We recommend creating one foil packet for each type of vegetable you want to grill. Different vegetables cook at different rates, and this allows you to control cooking times by vegetable type.
Read more: List of 17 insta pot pot roast recipes
Here’s how to prepare your foil packfor grilling:
- Tear off a sheet heavy duty aluminum foil. It should be large enough so that you can fold the ends and sides together into a sealed packet.
- Place your seasoned veggies in the center of the sheet. Add a few small knobs of butter if you aren’t using olive oil.
- Bring two edges of the sheet together.
- Fold over the edge to secure it.
- Fold the edges to completely seal the packet.
Grilling the Vegetables in Foil Packets
- Place your sealed packet on a preheated grill over low or indirect heat.
- Most veggies cook in about 10 minutes. Make sure to flip the packet once at the halfway mark. For exact cooking times, take a look at our infographic guide to grilling vegetables.
- Take the foil packets off the grill using your tongs.
- Tear open the foil packets and serve. Better yet, give everyone their own packet to open up at the table.
Grilled vegetables in foil packets are a great accompaniment to just about any grilled protein. Be creative and try out different types of vegetable and herb/spice combinations for different results. Don’t forget to share with us any exciting combinations you’ve tried by posting it in our comment box below!
Get ready for your next cookout with more delicious BBQ recipes.
Read more: Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Through this article, we hope to help you understand How to grill vegetables in foil with olive oil