Chicken stir-fry is a speedy dinner that’s jam-packed with flavor! Just grab a large pan and watch how juicy chicken, loads of veggies, and a savory-sweet sauce quickly come together in this colorful, healthy meal.
I love a good stir-fry because it ticks all the boxes for the ideal weeknight dinner. It delivers in flavor, simplicity, and a healthy balance of protein and veggies – just like my all-time favorite teriyaki chicken meal!
But the key to an insanely good stir-fry is the sauce. In this case, diced chicken and vibrant veggies are coated in a rich, sweet, and savory sauce – basically all the flavors and textures you want to experience in a stir-fry!
Then all you need to do is whip up some rice for a well-rounded, easy dinner recipe the whole family will love.
What’s In This Easy Stir-Fry Recipe?
This dish is really just a throw-together of a ton of veggies, plus chicken. You can use a variety of vegetables (hello fridge leftovers!), but here’s what’s in this classic version.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs will work in this recipe.
- Bell Pepper: Red bell peppers are ideal for their subtle sweetness and vibrant color. But any color works!
- Carrot: I’ve cut the carrot into thin rounds for convenience, but you can also julienne it.
- Broccoli: I think a pop of green is always necessary in a classic chicken stir fry. Don’t love broccoli? Swap in sugar snap peas!
- Onion: Either white or yellow onions work in this recipe.
- Ginger & Garlic: Essential aromatics for any stir-fry recipe.
- Green Onion & Sesame Seeds: A sprinkle of green onion and sesame seeds on the serving plate is the perfect finishing touch.
Now comes the best part, the stir-fry sauce! This one tastes deliciously complex, but is actually really easy to make. Here’s what you need.
- Chicken broth: Makes up the base of this sauce and adds much more flavor than using water.
- Tamari Soy Sauce: I’m using tamari soy sauce to keep this recipe gluten-free. You could also use coconut aminos for a soy-free sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Just a teaspoon for a rich, nutty taste.
- Honey: Adds a touch of natural sweetness to this savory sauce.
- Rice Vinegar: Alternatively, you can use apple cider vinegar.
- Arrowroot Powder: Helps to make the sauce extra rich and thick.
- Dry Sherry (optional): The secret ingredient in Chinese restaurant stir fry’s is Shaoxing Wine – but it’s not gluten-free! I love to add a splash of dry sherry instead if I have it (which is a cooking wine, and not sherry vinegar). You don’t need much, but it really does add a delicious layer of flavor. If you don’t have dry sherry you could also swap in mirin or sake. But this isn’t required – think of it as a flavor boost!
Also read: Pork Stir Fry | Family Cuisine
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Let’s Make The Best Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry
There’s not much work required, except chopping up a few veggies and dicing the chicken. Once that’s done, the rest comes together easy! Here’s how to make it.
- Make the stir-fry sauce. Whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, dry sherry, honey, rice vinegar, and arrowroot powder in a small bowl.
- Saute the chicken. In a large skillet or wok on medium high heat, cook the chicken with salt, pepper, and a little avocado oil for about 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Then remove to a plate.
- Cook the vegetables. Add a splash more oil, then saute the bell pepper, onion, carrot, and broccoli until tender.
- Stir-fry everything together! Add the chicken back in with the garlic, ginger, and stir-fry sauce. Toss it all together until everything is well coated in the sauce – that’s it!
Ways To Store
What’s great about this recipe is that it makes for such delicious leftovers. Alternatively, you can batch cook this on a Sunday night to eat all week long.
- To store: Let it cool before storing in airtight containers. They will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
- To freeze: The entire stir-fry can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. And yes, you can freeze it with the rice too!
More Easy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
This chicken stir-fry is just one of many chicken breast recipes to love. Give these easy and flavorful dinner ideas a try!
- Chicken Fajitas
- Greek Chicken Kabobs
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Ultimate Chicken Salad
Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe Video
Want to see how I make this quick and easy recipe? Watch the video below!
If you make this chicken stir-fry, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.