- Learn to make your individual DIY cake topper for birthday, weddings, and holidays which are each straightforward and stylish! Use one among my free topper designs, or make your individual with a customized title or phrase to embellish your cake.
- Supplies to Make DIY Cake Toppers
- Learn how to Make DIY Cake Toppers with a Pre-Made Design or a Customized Title or Phrase!
- Step 1: Get my free DIY Cake Topper Template
- Step 2: Put together Your Cake Topper for Reducing
- Step 3: Lower Out Your Cardstock
- Step 4: Connect Your Cake Topper Layers
- Step 5: Add Bamboo Skewers
- Get my free DIY Cake Topper templates and minimize information
- Need to bear in mind this? Save the DIY Cake Topper Tutorial to your favourite Pinterest board!
Learn to make your individual DIY cake topper for birthday, weddings, and holidays which are each straightforward and stylish! Use one among my free topper designs, or make your individual with a customized title or phrase to embellish your cake.
My household loves cake. I used to like to bake and adorn truffles, however these days are lengthy behind me at this level. So after I’m accountable for the cake, which means I’m shopping for one. Sadly, storebought ones are kinda boring, particularly whenever you get the generic ones from the deli case the hour earlier than the occasion. LOL Positive, you should purchase some decorations, however these are generic, too. However what DOES make any cake look magnificent is a CUSTOM CAKE TOPPER! So for Day 9 of The Nice Maker 25-Day Reward-Away Problem, I’m displaying you easy methods to make DIY cake toppers with customized names and phrases!
See precisely easy methods to make DIY cake toppers in my tutorial video (or preserve scrolling for those who desire a step-by-step picture tutorial):
Reading: how to make a custom cake topper
Now you in all probability have all the things you want already to make a cake topper — just some sheets of cardstock, some bamboo skewers, and a few glue. That’s it. Really easy.
You’ll desire a approach to minimize your cake topper — you should utilize scissors or a craft knife, however I’m utilizing my Cricut reducing machine as a result of it’s approach quicker and I like utilizing expertise to make my life simpler.
I’ve even made some cake topper designs so that you can use (“Make a Wish,” “Celebrate,” and “Best Day Ever”), together with a template so you may make a cake topper with no matter title or saying you need.
On this tutorial, I’ll present you easy methods to use my template to create a customized cake topper (or simply use a design I already made for you!) after which easy methods to assemble your DIY cake topper so it stays in your cake! This put up incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks on your comfort (which implies for those who make a purchase order after clicking a hyperlink I’ll earn a small fee nevertheless it gained’t price you a penny extra)! Learn my full disclosure coverage.
Supplies to Make DIY Cake Toppers
- 65 lb.-110 lb. 8.5″ x 11″ cardstock. The heavier weight, the sturdier will probably be. Be at liberty to even use issues like poster board, Kraft board, and even veneer.
- Ornamental paper like glitter cardstock or holographic poster board, that are good selections for the title or phrase
- 12″ lengthy Bamboo skewers (2 per cake topper)
- Cheesy glue or adhesive spray
- A approach to minimize your cardstock (I used the superb Cricut reducing machine!)
- StandardGrip reducing mat (the 12″ x 12″ measurement)
- Breaking Bread and Blackfat Script are the 2 fonts I used from Font Bundles.
- Design #175 – My free SVG cake topper information and template (out there in my free useful resource library—get the password by filling out the shape on the backside of this web page)
Learn how to Make DIY Cake Toppers with a Pre-Made Design or a Customized Title or Phrase!
Step 1: Get my free DIY Cake Topper Template
Get the free cake topper designs and templates (Design #175) from my free useful resource library (get the password to the library within the kind on the backside of this put up).
Step 2: Put together Your Cake Topper for Reducing
Read more: how to make sara lee pound cake
When you can minimize this cake topper by hand with a craft knife, you’ll discover it a lot simpler to chop this mission on a reducing machine, like a Cricut. To do this, you’ll first add the SVG design file you downloaded in step 1 to Cricut Design Area. Right here’s what my SVG file appears to be like like uploaded to Cricut Design Area:
Tip: In the event you’re undecided easy methods to add an SVG minimize file to Cricut Design Area, watch this useful video coaching sequence I made. In the event you’re on an iPhone or iPad, right here’s easy methods to obtain and add SVG information to the Cricut Design Area app.
The cake topper design is sized to suit on an 8 inch cake or bigger. If you should resize the picture to suit a distinct measurement cake, accomplish that earlier than you ungroup the designs.
In the event you’re curious what font I used for my pre-made cake topper designs, I used Breaking Bread and Blackfat Script, each of which are perfect for becoming a member of and welding!
Step 3: Lower Out Your Cardstock
Lower out your cardstock layers. Each layer might be the identical shade, or select a distinct contrasting shade on your phrase or title to assist it stand out!
I like to recommend you chop two of the wreath layers and one of many sentiment layer within the desired cardstock or glitter paper. If reducing the sentiment solely to make use of as a topper minimize two layers of the sentiment. The double layers add stability to the cake topper.
Step 4: Connect Your Cake Topper Layers
Utilizing spray adhesive or glue, connect the layers collectively. I like to recommend you connect the 2 wreath layers, then connect the title or sentiment to the entrance.
Step 5: Add Bamboo Skewers
Read more: how to make cake paint with food coloring
You may have two choices for attaching the skewers, that are obligatory for the cake topper to face atop your cake. You’ll be able to both glue the skewers to the again of the design, or you may glue the non-compulsory ring to the again and slide your skewers by the holes within the rings. Gluing the skewers is a bit stronger, however utilizing the ring with holes means you may take away the skewers when the occasion is over and preserve it flat as a memento. Your alternative!
Get my free DIY Cake Topper templates and minimize information
I’d like to see your DIY cake toppers for each event! In the event you make one, please share a photograph in our Fb group, e-mail it to me at [email protected], or tag me on social media with #jennifermaker.
And for those who’d prefer to learn to make LAYERED cake toppers, take a look at my enjoyable Rainbow and Mermaid layered cake topper tutorial!
Need to bear in mind this? Save the DIY Cake Topper Tutorial to your favourite Pinterest board!
Read more: How to make a homemade yellow cake