Sometimes, at GeekMom we get submissions which might be simply too good to disregard from a visitor blogger.
This Mad Hatter Cake from *Alice in Wonderland *desserts is a kind of. Extra Wonderland desserts will be discovered on Kathyrn’s weblog, The Sugar Turntable.
Reading: how to make a mad hatter cake
1. First, you want a cake base to shave the form into. I used a big cookie cutter (about 4 inch diameter) and minimize out sufficient layers to get the peak I wished. You could possibly additionally use two 6-inch tiers stacked if you’d like it slightly bigger. Be certain every layer is held along with buttercream or frosting. Freeze it (for those who freeze it longer than 1 hour, add Saran Wrap to maintain it from drying out).
2. Take a pointy knife and shave the perimeters in order that they taper all the way down to a smaller base… attempt to make it as whilst doable. If it will get exhausting to work with. put it again within the freezer for awhile.
3. Frost the form (once more, its simpler to frost whether it is chilly or frozen), then chill it within the fridge.
4. Take your inexperienced coloured fondant and lay a skinny layer over the form. As a result of form, it’s possible you’ll discover you can not keep away from getting folds on the backside. That is okay since you’ll be masking a great few inches with a strip of yellow fondant.
5. Lower a strip of yellow fondant lengthy sufficient to wrap across the base of the hat, and some inches tall. Fold the perimeters down on either side of the strip of fondant so the lengthwise edges are clean and never minimize.
6. Wrap the yellow strip across the base of the hat utilizing royal icing to safe it. Use your fingers to create folds, do not lay it flat in opposition to it.
7. To present the yellow strip an “antique” look, take cocoa powder and utilizing a brush or a Q-tip apply the powder to the creases.
Read more: how to make eggless pound cake
8. For the brim of the hat, minimize a skinny circle of gumpaste that could be a few inches bigger than the complete diameter of the hat (relying on how massive you need the brim). *Bear in mind, gumpaste and NOT fondant… they dry very otherwise. Flip the perimeters of the brim up and prop it up with cotton and let it dry so long as doable (I’d recommend at the least 4 hours however doing this the night time earlier than is often finest).
9. As soon as the brim is dry, utilizing a skinny spatula or comparable utensil, place the chilled hat on the brim being cautious to not break the flipped up sides of the hat. Add the ten/6 notice by both utilizing an actual card with the “10/6” written on it, or if you’re a purist, use a sq. of gumpaste that has dried and an edible pen or black icing to put in writing the “10/6” (connect it with royal icing).
10. I used coloration luster dusts to present the yellow strip a “distressed” look (principally simply brushing it on or utilizing a Q-tip). However the “antique” look is sufficient if you wish to cease there. As the ultimate contact, take gold luster mud and brush it on your complete cake to present it a gold, shimmery sheen.
Hope you’ve got enjoyable!
Read more: make a cake in the microwave