If it is doable that simply a cake could make you content, that is the cake to do it. The array of vibrant colours will liven the temper at any celebration and is certain to attraction to visitors of all ages. We began with our traditional white layer cake recipe as the bottom. It is wealthy and tender and has the construction to face tall in six layers; plus, it was the apparent alternative for simple dyeing. We separated the batter into six parts and stirred in meals dye proper earlier than baking. Baking our colourful layers in two batches of three truffles every ensured they have been evenly cooked.
Serves 20 to 24
Reading: How to make a rainbow layer cake
We had the most effective luck utilizing Betty Crocker Meals Gel Colours. The quantity of meals dye required and the ensuing coloration will differ from model to model. We strongly advocate utilizing meals gel coloring over liquid meals dye for greatest outcomes. You’ll want to let the cake pans cool fully earlier than repeating with extra batter. Align layers evenly to make sure this tall cake stands straight. To make 10 cups of frosting, put together the 5-cup recipe for Vanilla Frosting (see beneath) twice. (Don’t attempt doubling the recipe; it will not match within the mixer.) You might have leftover frosting after adorning.
2 cups entire milk, room temperature 12 massive egg whites, room temperature 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 4½ cups (18 ounces) cake flour 3½ cups (24½ ounces) sugar 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoon baking powder 2 teaspoons salt 24 tablespoons (3 sticks) unsalted butter, lower into 24 items and softened Gel meals dye (purple, orange, yellow, inexperienced, blue, and purple) 10 cups Vanilla Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Alter oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and warmth oven to 350 levels. Grease three 9-inch spherical cake pans, line with parchment paper, grease parchment, and flour pans.
Read more: how to make a dr who birthday cake
2. Whisk 1 cup milk, 6 egg whites, and 1 teaspoon vanilla collectively in 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Utilizing stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine 2¼ cups (9 ounces) flour, 1¾ cups (12¼ ounces) sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt on low pace till mixed. Add 12 tablespoons butter, 1 piece at a time, and blend till solely pea-size items stay, about 1 minute. Add half of milk combination, enhance pace to medium-high, and beat till mild and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scale back pace to medium-low, add remaining milk combination, and beat till integrated, about 30 seconds (batter could look barely curdled). Give batter ultimate stir by hand.
3. Divide batter evenly amongst three bowls. Add ½ teaspoon purple gel meals dye to 1 bowl, ¼ teaspoon yellow to second bowl, and ¼ teaspoon orange to 3rd bowl. Stir every to mix. Switch every coloured batter to separate ready pans. Clean tops with rubber spatula and gently faucet pans on counter to launch air bubbles. Place 2 pans on higher rack and one pan on decrease rack. Bake till toothpick inserted in middle comes out clear, 18 to 22 minutes, switching and rotating pans midway by means of baking. Let truffles cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Take away truffles from pans, discarding parchment, and let cool fully on rack, about 2 hours.
4. Repeat steps 1 by means of 3 with remaining elements, utilizing ½ teaspoon blue, ½ teaspoon inexperienced, and ½ teaspoon purple gel meals dye in every bowl of batter. (Truffles will be saved at room temperature for as much as 24 hours or frozen for as much as 1 month; defrost truffles at room temperature.)
5. Line edges of cake platter with 4 strips of parchment to maintain platter clear and place small dab of frosting in middle of platter to anchor cake. Place purple cake layer on platter. Unfold ¾ cup frosting evenly over high, proper to fringe of cake. High with blue cake layer, urgent frivolously to stick, and repeat course of with inexperienced, yellow, orange, and purple layers, urgent frivolously to stick and spreading 2/4 cup frosting evenly over every layer. Place ¾ cup frosting in middle of high of cake and unfold to outer edges, letting any extra dangle over edges; clean high. Unfold half of remaining frosting alongside sides of cake with quick side-by-side strokes till complete aspect is roofed with skinny coat of frosting. Refrigerate cake till frosting is about, about quarter-hour.
6. Unfold remaining frosting evenly over high and sides of cake. Rigorously take away parchment strips earlier than serving.
Read more: how to make a glossy cake
Makes 5 cups, sufficient for two-layer cake
To make 10 cups of frosting, put together this recipe twice. (Don’t attempt doubling the recipe; it will not match within the mixer.) You might have leftover frosting after adorning.
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, every stick lower into quarters and softened ¼ cup heavy cream 1 tablespoon vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon salt 4 cups (16 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
1. Utilizing stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, cream, vanilla, and salt on medium-high pace till clean, about 1 minute. Scale back pace to medium-low, slowly add sugar, and beat till integrated and clean, about 4 minutes.
2. Increase pace to medium-high and beat till frosting is mild and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Frosting will be refrigerated for as much as 3 days; let soften at room temperature, about 2 hours, then rewhip on medium pace till clean, 2 to five minutes.)
Read more: how to make a firefighter helmet cake