Homemade Chinese Sesame Chicken made with crispy fried chicken covered in a sweet and sour sauce. The ultimate sesame chicken recipe is way better than take-out.
My family goes crazy for Chinese food. But as a Mom, I wonder what in the world is actually in the sesame chicken you find in the drive-thru or in the mall food court. So I decided to create my own Asian recipes at home that are better than take-out!
My CHINESE ORANGE CHICKEN RECIPE is one of my most popular recipes on Modern Honey. It has been such a huge hit so I thought it was time to create a homemade Sesame Chicken recipe. It is such a hit in our home!
This sauce has the perfect balance of sweetness with a touch of sour from the rice vinegar. It has the right amount of sweet honey which creates the perfect coating to the chicken.
This Chinese Sesame Chicken is made with boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces, dredged, and then fried until golden and crispy. The sweet and sour sauce is divine! It is a little spicy and a whole lotta sweet. It is made with honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, and red chili flakes. It is heavenly!
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE SESAME CHICKEN AT HOME:
- Start with boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs. Cut into bite-size pieces. Dredge the chicken in whisked eggs and cornstarch/flour mixture until nice and coated. Make sure to add salt to the flour mixture to bring flavor to the chicken. Get these chicken pieces ready for the oil.
- To make your homemade sesame sauce, place honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, and red chili flakes in a small pot and cook over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch and water and cook until thickened. Add more red chili flakes if you like it spicier!
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When frying foods, it is so helpful to use a thermometer. Let the oil heat up to 350 degrees. Once the oil is ready, in batches, cook chicken for about 2 minutes until light golden brown. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toss fried chicken with the sweet and sour sesame sauce. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately.