Hot Apple Cider is a delicious spiced apple drink, perfect for fall and winter months! You need just a handful of fall spices and citrus (and a few minutes), to prepare this cozy beverage!
I absolutely love the coziness of hot drinks (like Pumpkin Spice Lattes or an Irish Coffee) and this old fashioned favorite joins the ranks with non-alcoholic ingredients!
What is Apple Cider?
The difference between apple cider and apple juice lies in the filtering of the solids (and the heat processing) but this can vary from state to state. Apple juice is strained (which is why it’s clear compared to cider) and often heated in processing.
Read more: How to get a lemonade stand permit
Apple juice is not a good substitute in this recipe as it’s more tart!
To Make Cider from Scratch
Homemade apple cider is quite a treat! The recipe below uses either homemade or store bought apple cider depending on how much time you have! Store bought makes this recipe extra quick while still filling your home (and belly) with the warm delicious spices of cider.
To Make Cider from Scratch:
- Combine 10-12 apples (any variety), 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on apples), 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 slices lemon and 3 slices orange in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover apples by an inch or so. Simmer 35-45 minutes or until soft.
- Gently mash apples and strain through cheesecloth. Discard solids.
How to Make Spiced Apple Cider
This simple apple cider recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3 to prepare! And when making in the crockpot it is great to leave bubbling away all day wafting through your house!
- Using a cheesecloth, prepare a spice pack according to recipe directions below.
- Pour cider into a large pot and add the spice bag.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Or, make in the CrockPot and simmer on medium-high for 2-3 hours.
Read more: How to make coffee art at home
Garnish with cranberries, and apple and orange slices. Serve warm.
Ways to Enjoy Hot Spiced Apple Cider!
While traditional apple cider is perfect on its own, we love to “spice” this hot beverage up!
- Serve in small mason jars or pretty glasses with a cinnamon stir stick and pieces of fruit!
- Have it with a slice of Pumpkin Bread or a plate of Pumpkin Blondies.
How Long Does It Last?
Hot apple cider is one of those recipes that tastes even better the next day, so don’t worry about making too much! It will be even more delicious tomorrow than it was today!
- In the Refrigerator: This hot cider should last 7 to 10 days.
- In the Freezer: Let cool and pour into an airtight container, leaving about 2 inches at the top for expansion.
Simply reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warm.
Read more: How to make english tea with loose leaves
Delicious Spiced Apple Recipes
- Homemade Applesauce – only 4 ingredients!
- Apple Cobbler – completely from scratch
- Warm Apple Bread – delicious apple pie bread
- Baked Apples – surprisingly simple to make!
- Apple Crisp – perfect easy dessert!