I’m very pleased to introduce this kongbiji-jjigae recipe to you right now. The very first thing that involves thoughts once I consider this floor soybean stew is the sight and sound of it scorching and effervescent in an earthenware pot within the chilly winter, identical to I used to have it rising up. Heat, creamy, nutty, and wholesome, it’s the right stew for colder climate.
Kongbiji is soy pulp, which is leftover from the method of constructing tofu. In that course of the soaked soybeans are pureed after which filtered via a sack. What’s filtered is used for tofu and the the soy pulp left within the sack is kongbiji. On this recipe, we gained’t make soy pulp that method, we’ll puree soybeans in a blender.
Reading: how to make biji korean porridge
If anybody ever requested me which of my grandmother’s dishes was her most scrumptious, I’ll undoubtedly say, “kongbiji-jjigae!”. I used to be fascinated together with her kongbiji-jjigae ever since I first noticed and tasted it. I used to observe her when she went purchasing and he or she would purchase a lump of kongbiji at a neighborhood tofu manufacturing unit. When she introduced it dwelling and made this stew for breakfast on a freezing chilly day within the winter, it was all the time within the heart of the desk, scorching and effervescent and making us all really feel heat even earlier than we tasted it!
Read more: how long to cook soup in instant pot
At any time when she was able to serve a meal, she stated, “Open the table!” She had a number of totally different sizes of tables, saved between the rice chest and the wall. My uncles took out a big round wood desk. The desk legs have been folded, so a number of tables might be positioned within the hole.
One in all my uncles unfolded the legs of the desk, one other cleaned the desk with a moist material. My uncles set spoons, chopsticks, and facet dishes on the desk. Then my grandmother scooped rice from her large forged iron pot into small particular person bowls and my uncles and I helped her put the bowls on the desk. Then the final dish to the desk was this sort of scorching stew! She all the time introduced it on the final minute, so all members of the family might get pleasure from it sizzling, so long as doable.
After I tasted her kongbiji-jjigae for the primary time, I couldn’t imagine such a scrumptious dish existed on this planet! : )
The necessary tip on this recipe is to not vigorously combine the bottom beans in to the stew. Do it gently, like I do it within the video, as a result of if the beans get too combined in, they may sink to the underside of the pot. Slip your spoon into the underside of the pot after which deliver it up regularly, and shake the beans softly from beneath. That can hold them creamy.
Read more: how to can soup at home
I hope you get pleasure from this recipe together with your family and friends. Serve it effervescent and make everybody heat!
- ½ cup dried soybeans (90 grams), washed and soaked in chilly water for 12 hours
- 8 ounces pork shoulder (pork loin), lower into chunk sized items
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fermented kimchi, chopped
- 1 tablespoon saeujeot (salted fermented shrimp) (or fish sauce, or 1-2 teaspoons salt to style)
- 1 inexperienced chili pepper (chopped)
- 1 purple chili pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium dae-pa (giant inexperienced onion) or 2 inexperienced onions, chopped
For inventory (make about 2½ cups)
- 7 giant dried anchovies, guts and heads eliminated
- 4 x 5 inch piece of dried kelp
- 4 cups water
Make anchovy kelp inventory (You may substitute with 1½ cup vegetable inventory or hen broth)
- Put the anchovies and dried kelp in a sauce pan.
- Add the water and boil for 20 minutes over medium excessive warmth.
- Pressure and put aside.
Read more: how to cook green plantain porridge
- Rinse the beans and drain. They’ll develop to slightly greater than 1 cup. Mix the beans with 1 cup water till creamy. You’re going to get about 2 cups floor beans.
- Warmth a heavy, 2 quart pot (or Korean earthenware or stone pot) over medium excessive warmth. Add the sesame oil, garlic and onion and stir for 30 seconds with a wood spoon.
- Add the pork, soy sauce, and floor black pepper and stir for two to three minutes till the pork is now not pink. Add the kimchi and stir for five minutes till the kimchi turns slightly tender.
- Add 1½ cup anchovy kelp inventory (or hen or vegetable inventory). Cowl and prepare dinner for five minutes.
- Pour the bottom beans over the stew. Gently stir and switch the stew over with a wood spoon. Cook dinner for an additional 5 to six minutes with the lid open till the beans are totally cooked and effervescent. Style it to check if the beans are totally cooked. It ought to style nutty.
- Add the salted fermented shrimp (or fish sauce or 1-2 teaspoons salt to your style) and stir. You may add the leftover inventory if the stew is just too thick and also you need to skinny it out a bit.
- Add a lot of the inexperienced onion, inexperienced and purple chili pepper, leaving some again for a garnish. Stir a number of occasions and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Add the remainder of the inexperienced onion, inexperienced and purple chili pepper as a garnish.
- Take away from the warmth and serve instantly with rice and extra facet dishes.