- What Is Ermine Frosting?
- make Ermine Frosting
- STEP #1 – MAKE THE ROUX/Pudding
- Step #2 – Cowl and Cool
- STEP #3 – BEAT BUTTER UNTIL PALE & FLUFFY
- STEP #4 – ADD FLOUR MIXTURE
- STEP #5 – WHIP UNTIL FLUFFY AND SMOOTH
- Flavoring Flour Buttercream
- Does Ermine Frosting have to be Refrigerated?
- Troubleshooting Ermine Buttercream
- Ermine Frosting FAQ
- In search of extra tutorials?
- Ideas for making this Ermine Frosting
Ermine Frosting is a straightforward and scrumptious buttercream made with flour, sugar, milk, and butter. It might sound slightly unusual however, belief me, it’s scrumptious!
I’ll by no means return to Swiss Meringue Buttercream once more.
Reading: how to make birthday cake frosting
I can’t consider I’m saying that, but it surely’s true! And I can’t consider it’s taken me this lengthy to attempt Ermine buttercream. I don’t know why I assumed it might be sophisticated to get proper. It’s the simplest frosting I’ve made other than American buttercream.
What Is Ermine Frosting?
Ermine Frosting is an quaint French-inspired buttercream recipe. It’s also called flour buttercream, heritage frosting, or boiled milk frosting.
Step one is cooking the flour, sugar, and milk right into a thick paste (or roux). The feel is much like pudding.
As soon as that’s cooled, you add it to your whipped butter… and that’s it! Tremendous straightforward and scrumptious. The frosting is silky easy and never too candy.
Ermine buttercream was historically the frosting used on a Crimson Velvet Cake, although cream cheese frosting is extra fashionable with it as of late.
make Ermine Frosting
Making flour buttercream may be very easy. The method is much like that of German Buttercream, but it surely requires fewer steps.
STEP #1 – MAKE THE ROUX/Pudding
Place the flour, sugar, and salt right into a medium pot. Whisk to mix.
Add milk and vanilla.
Read more: how to make cheese cake filling
Prepare dinner over medium warmth, stirring consistently, till the combination boils. Proceed cooking whereas stirring consistently for 1-2 extra minutes till the combination thickens to a pudding-like consistency.
Step #2 – Cowl and Cool
Pour right into a bowl and place plastic wrap straight on high of the combination to forestall a pores and skin from forming. Cool to room temperature.
You can also make this a day upfront and refrigerate in a single day. Carry to room temperature once more earlier than utilizing within the buttercream.
For those who’d like to chill it sooner you may pour it onto a plate as an alternative and canopy it in plastic wrap. Or pop it into the fridge as soon as it’s cooled a bit. However be certain it deliver it to room temperature if it will get too chilly.
STEP #3 – BEAT BUTTER UNTIL PALE & FLUFFY
Whip it for an excellent 3+ minutes on excessive. I exploit a paddle attachment as a result of I like that mine scrapes the edges of the bowl, however you should utilize the whisk attachment in the event you favor.
STEP #4 – ADD FLOUR MIXTURE
Slowly add the (room temperature) flour combination, about 1 Tbsp at a time, whereas the butter is whipping. That is sort of like including butter to a Swiss meringue buttercream. Incorporate it slowly.
STEP #5 – WHIP UNTIL FLUFFY AND SMOOTH
As soon as the entire combination is integrated, whip the buttercream on excessive for 2-3 minutes till it’s easy and fluffy. Add every other flavorings.
For those who really feel like your buttercream is simply too gentle at this level (mine was), pop the entire bowl into the fridge for 20-30mins (or freezer for 10mins) and provides it an excellent rewhip.
It ought to be completely pipeable.
Flavoring Flour Buttercream
You’ve just a few choices in relation to flavoring the buttercream. You’ll be able to infuse the milk — I speak about this a bit in my Pastry Cream publish — or you may add taste on the finish. Listed here are some choices:
Add both to the milk combination earlier than cooking or to the buttercream on the finish:
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried berry powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter powder
- 2 Tbsp prompt espresso powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Read more: Can i make my own wedding cake
Add to the buttercream on the finish:
- 6 oz cooled, melted chocolate (will make the buttercream softer)
- 2 Tbsp prompt espresso powder dissolved in 1 tsp scorching water (cool earlier than including)
- 1/4 cup caramel or dulce de leche (will make the buttercream softer)
- 1/4 cup lemon curd (will make the buttercream softer)
An alternative choice for lemon or every other citrus is to beat the butter with 1 Tbsp citrus zest earlier than including the pudding.
Does Ermine Frosting have to be Refrigerated?
Like most buttercreams, Ermine frosting can be high quality at room temperature for a day or so; past that, it ought to be refrigerated.
I wish to retailer mine in an hermetic container within the fridge, but when I’m freezing it I unfold the buttercream on a big sheet of plastic wrap, wrap it up, flatten it, and place it in a freezer bag.
Carry it to room temperature and provides it an excellent rewhip earlier than use. Ensure it’s utterly at room temperature (however not too gentle) earlier than rewhipping. See troubleshooting part beneath in the event you run into points.
Troubleshooting Ermine Buttercream
Ermine frosting is simple to make, however you may run into points with it at occasions. As with all buttercream recipes, it’s necessary that your elements are at room temperature (however not too heat/gentle) or this may wreak havoc in your buttercream.
Listed here are some frequent issues in addition to my suggestions and strategies on how one can keep away from/repair them:
- My frosting is simply too gentle. This occurs both in case your butter is simply too gentle or the flour combination was nonetheless heat. Pop the entire bowl and whisk into the fridge for 20mins (or freezer for 10mins) and rewhip. Relying on how heat it was, chances are you’ll want a few classes within the fridge.
- My frosting is curdled. In case your butter or flour combination are too chilly, this may trigger the buttercream to curdle. For those who maintain whipping it, it can come collectively.
- My buttercream nonetheless appears to be like curdled. If whipping didn’t get it to come back collectively, it’s worthwhile to heat it up a bit. You are able to do this by both putting the bowl briefly over a pot with 1-2″ simmering water, or heat the edges of the bowl with a hairdryer. You can too attempt to microwave 1/4 cup of the buttercream for just a few seconds then drizzle it again into the buttercream with the mixer till it comes collectively.
- It’s too candy. You’ll be able to add a bit extra salt to assist reduce the sweetness, or in the reduction of on the sugar subsequent time you make it.
- The buttercream will get onerous within the fridge. That is regular. Similar to the butter it’s comprised of, it can agency as much as the consistency of butter within the fridge. Once you let it come to room temperature it can soften once more.
- It tastes too buttery. The buttercream ought to be gentle and fluffy, not thick and greasy. If yours tastes such as you’re consuming a stick of butter, it most likely simply wants some extra whipping.
Ermine Frosting FAQ
- Can I make it upfront? Sure. The frosting may be positioned in an hermetic container and refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 3 months. Carry to room temperature and rewhip earlier than utilizing.
- How do I make it extra/much less candy? You’ll be able to scale back or add sugar to the recipe in the event you’d like to regulate the sweetness. You can too add powdered sugar on the finish so as to add extra sweetness or stiffen it up. It should change the feel although.
- How do I taste it? Discuss with the Flavoring Flour Buttercream part above.
- Can I colour it? Sure! Simply add colour such as you would to any buttercream recipe. I like to recommend colour gels or powder for greatest outcomes.
- Can I make it Gluten-free? Sure. Simply use your favourite GF flour mix.
Ermine buttercream is ideal for these of you who don’t just like the sweetness/gritty texture of American buttercream however need one thing slightly simpler than a meringue buttercream.
It’s a little softer than meringue buttercreams, however I discovered it very straightforward to work with and simple to pipe. You simply would possibly want to sit back it for a bit in the event you discover it too gentle.
The buttercream has a yellow tint to it as a result of butter, however you may take a look at this publish on Make White Buttercream.
I’m so excited for you guys to do that one. Let me know the way you prefer it!
Read more: how to make a moist vanilla cake
In search of extra tutorials?
- Make Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Make German Buttercream (Custard Buttercream)
- How To Make Ganache
- Make Pastry Cream
- Bake Flat Truffles
- Make White Buttercream
Ideas for making this Ermine Frosting
- This recipe makes sufficient to frost and embellish a two-layer 8″ cake or a three-layer 6″ cake.
- Ensure your flour combination and butter are each at room temperature earlier than combining.
- The frosting may be positioned in an hermetic container and refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 3 months. Carry to room temp and rewhip earlier than utilizing.
- Discover ways to maintain your desserts moist utilizing Easy Syrup.
- To assist guarantee your cake layers bake up good and flat, take a look at my Bake Flat Cake Layers publish!