Beef and Noodles using Granny’s classic easy 5-ingredient recipe is quick and easy to make the Instant Pot, but can be made using the crockpot or stove top too.
This is the best easy dinner recipe you’ll find with made with beef tips or stew meat smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy served over noodles. It is a great option for a busy weeknight dinner as well as a meal that your entire family will love!
Why this recipe works:
- Simple ingredients: All you need to make this recipe is stew meat or beef tips, your favorite Cream of Mushroom soup, onion dip mix, beef broth, and noodles. Also, a bit of olive oil for searing the meat.
- Ultimate comfort food: Sometimes we all just crave something that tastes really good and reminds us of our childhood. This recipe is not only delicious and satisfying, but it tastes just like what my grandma used to make for us.
- Choose your cooking method: My preference is to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, but I also detail below how to make it on the stove or in a slow cooker.
How to make Beef and Noodles in the Instant Pot:
Full ingredient list and detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Sear meat: Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot using sauté mode. When hot, add the meat and sear.
- Add liquids: Add cream of mushroom soup, onion dip mix, and beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook: Secure lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release.
- Boil noodles: While meat is cooking, cook pasta in salted boiling water. Drain and set aside. To serve, either stir noodles into beef gravy, or spoon beef and gravy on top of warm noodles.
Other methods to make this recipe:
Not everyone has an Instant Pot, and this is such an easy recipe to make on the stove or in the slow cooker.
How to make beef and noodles in the crockpot:
- Sear meat: Unless your crockpot has a sear function, you’ll need to sear the beef on the stove.
- Add to crockpot: Transfer the browned stew meat to the slow cooker with the cream of mushroom soup, onion dip mix, and beef broth.
- Slow cook: Set it and forget it. I recommend cooking this recipe in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours which makes it the perfect meal to prepare in the morning and enjoy when you come home after work. Don’t worry – the noodles only take a few minutes to make!
How to make beef and noodles on the stove top:
- Sear meat: Using a heavy bottom Dutch oven with a lid, brown the stew meat.
- Simmer: Add the cream of mushroom soup, onion dip mix, and beef broth. Stir to combine. Heat until it comes to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat as low as it goes to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook this for at least an hour, covered to maintain moisture, until the meat is tender. You can cook this recipe for up to 3-5 hours on the stove top as long as the heat is very low.
- Serve: Again, you’ll need to boil the noodles separately just before serving.
Cooking tips for best results:
- Choosing the best ingredients:
- Cream of mushroom: I highly recommend Trader Joe’s Portabella Cream of Mushroom soup. Every fall I buy enough to last all year because it’s a seasonal item.
- Beef broth: I also highly recommend making your own roasted beef broth and storing it in the freezer in quart sized containers. I always have some on hand! Otherwise, your favorite store bought beef broth works fine.
- Beef: Stew meat works best for this recipe but any cut that says chuck (chuck roast, chuck shoulder, chuck eye-roast, etc.) will work as long as you cut them into bite sized pieces and remove most of the fat. Beef tips are another great option.
- Instant Pot burn notice: I’ve had many readers that tell me they get the burn notice when making my beef and noodles recipe. That has never happened to me, however this is easily preventable by increasing the amount of beef broth you use.
- Searing the meat: For the best flavor, it is important you properly sear the meat. That often means you’ll need to sear the beef in small batches in order to keep the pan super hot and prevent crowding which would result in tough steamed meat, rather than meat with a nice browned sear.
- Freezing: This recipe can easily be frozen, so feel free to double or triple the recipe for future leftovers. Just make everything as written except for the noodles. Chill in the refrigerator and then freeze in an air tight container.
- Reheating: I recommend either reheating in a covered pot on the stove over low heat or in the microwave on 50% power in 1 minute increments.
What to serve with Beef and Noodles:
Although this is the ultimate comfort food dinner recipe, you need a healthy vegetable side dish to balance the meal. Here are some great recommendations.
- Roasted Broccoli
- Wilted Garlic Spinach
- Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
You can also follow along on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes to satisfy any foodie craving!
This recipe was originally posted in October 2018 and has been updated with additional process photos, helpful information, and cooking tips. Don’t worry – I didn’t change the recipe!