This delicious Potato Salad recipe has tender potatoes, crisp veggies, and eggs in a tangy and creamy dressing! A summertime staple for good reason!
Perfect to serve alongside a thick grilled burger, grilled chicken, or even next to a juicy steak! This easy potato salad recipe tastes even better when made ahead of time making it the perfect dish anytime!
Reading: how to make boiled egg sandwich
A Classic Side Dish
For an inexpensive and filling side dish, you can’t beat a great potato salad (and of course a delicious pasta salad recipe right next to it).
Every family has their favorite add-ins and of course, this is ours with just the right amount of crunch, tang, and creaminess.
Ingredients for Potato Salad
Read more: How to Cook Tapioca Pearls | Family Cuisine
POTATOES Russet or Yukon gold potatoes are great for potato salad. I sometimes use baby potatoes (or new potatoes) if I have them as they are a little sweeter and don’t require peeling.
ADD-INS The possibilities are endless. We love potato salad with eggs but if eggs aren’t your thing, skip them!
Sliced radishes and celery add a bit of crunch. You can also add in your favorites such as chopped pickles, cheddar cheese, or a handful of crumbled bacon!
POTATO SALAD DRESSING This recipe has a creamy dressing and it’s super easy to prepare. Classic flavors include cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, a touch of sugar, and relish (sweet or dill).
It is important to ensure that your potatoes are cooled before you add this dressing as it has a mayonnaise base.
Read more: how to get soft boiled tm | Family Cuisine
How to Make Potato Salad
- Boil Potatoes & Cool Bite-sized potatoes (or potato pieces) will take about 12-15 minutes after the water boils. Test by piercing them with a fork to ensure they’re tender throughout but not falling apart. Just like when making mashed potatoes ensure they don’t overcook as potatoes can absorb water and get too mushy.
- Prep Add-Ins Chop boiled eggs, celery, and other ingredients (per recipe below).
- Mix Dressing Mix the dressing in the bottom of a large bowl (one less dish to wash!) and add the cooked and cooled ingredients to the dressing. Mix well.
- Chill Refrigerate before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Fridge For the best potato salad, always plan on making it fresh. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days.
Freezer Unfortunately potato salad is one of those rare dishes that doesn’t hold up well to freezing. The raw veggies that give it such a delightful crunch will get mushy, and the mayonnaise will separate when it thaws.
More Easy Potato Sides
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe – Classic Creamy Side Dish
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Easy, cheesy, and delicious.
- Simple Southern Potato Salad – easy
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – Perfect alongside your favorite meat entrees but can also be used in potato salads!
- Colcannon Recipe (Cabbage and Potatoes)
Did your family love this Classic Potato Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!