Super Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken. Tastes so much better than the restaurant version! Serve with rice and noodles to make it a meal!
Reading: how to make bourbon chicken stir fry
This Bourbon Chicken is so much better than the standard food court recipe! The chicken turns out tender, juicy and loaded with tons of sauce. The sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. I like to double the sauce to have extra to serve over rice.
Best of all this recipe couldn’t be easier. This Authentic Bourbon Chicken takes 20 minutes and only one pan. No marinating required. Simply cook the chicken, pour in the sauce, simmer and add in cornstarch and water to thicken up the sauce. That’s it!
How to make Bourbon Chicken
- Cook Chicken: Heat sesame oil and canola oil in a large skillet. Add in chicken and saute until fully cooked and golden brown on the outside. Next add in garlic and ginger and saute for 1-2 minutes. (Add in more oil if needed)
- Make the Sauce: In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, bourbon and rice wine vinegar. Add sauce to the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Cornstarch Slurry: Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir frequently until thickened, 2-3 minutes. If the sauce needs to thicken more add more cornstarch.
- Serve: Immediately with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish, if desired.
Can this be made in the crockpot?
This recipe can easily be made in the slow cooker. Simply add the chicken and sauce ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. When the chicken is done cooking remove it from the slow cooker. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and add in the cornstarch mixed with the water. Simmer until the sauce is thickened and add it back to the slow cooker along with the chicken and toss to coat. Serve the Crockpot Bourbon Chicken with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish, if desired.
Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Add the chicken and the sauce ingredients in the Instant pot and set to pressure cook for 12 minutes. Once the chicken is done cooking allow it to naturally release pressure. Open the lid and turn the Instant pot to saute. Slowly whisk in the cornstarch and water slurry and cook for a few minutes or until the sauce is thickened. (This can also be done on the stove top as well). If you are making this recipe using frozen chicken simply add 6-8 more minutes onto the cooking time.
Can this be frozen?
Yes! This is a great recipe for meal prepping. I recommend freezing the chicken and the sauce ingredients raw in a large ziplock bag. The cornstarch slurry should not be frozen and can be added after it’s cooked. Store up to 3 month in the freezer. When you are ready to cook defrost it overnight in the refrigerator. Alternatively you can add this frozen to the Instant Pot or to the Slow Cooker. Just make sure to add extra time for both. I have not tried freezing this recipe after it’s been cooked.
What to serve with this Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- I love to serve the chicken with white or brown rice to soak up all the extra sauce! For a low carb option try cauliflower rice or quinoa.
- Steamed mixed vegetables (I love serving this with broccoli, carrots or zucchini)
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay