Many are surprised to know that it is possible to learn how to make cheese sauce without flour. This guide covers a white cheese sauce that is optimal for dipping various foods and even topping foods -such as fries, nachos, and other dishes.
It is a relatively simple sauce that is typically completely ready in just under 15 minutes. The bonus is that – because no flour or any “roux” is required in its creation – it is gluten-free!
- Grab these ingredients
- Step by step instructions
- Other uses for cheese sauce
- How long will the cheese sauce good for?
- How to reheat the cheese sauce?
- How to thicken the sauce without flour
- How to avoid curdled or gritty cheese sauce
- Interesting recipes
- Related questions
- Cheese sauce recipe without flour
The warm, luscious, cheddar-flavored cheese sauce is a welcome addition to various dishes; this recipe is a PERFECT option for cheese-lovers everywhere!
This is the ultimate “go-to” for individuals passionate about the texture, appearance, and flavor of their food. Apart from its rich, creamy warm, deliciousness, it is a cheese sauce that you can make quickly, easily, and contains absolutely NO flour!
Why this is the BEST recipe!
- It is easy to make
- You can make it fast.
- It requires NO flour at all.
- It comes out PERFECT -every single time! No way to mess it up!
Grab these ingredients
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 tbsp of butter cut into very small cubes
- 8 oz of cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese – you may also use Gouda or Fontina
- 6 oz of American cheese
Step by step instructions
- Cut the cheese, cream cheese, and butter into small cubes. Set aside.
- Place the butter in the pan and let it melt first over LOW HEAT. Add the milk and let it SLIGHTLY simmer, remember do not boil the milk! Keep stirring.
- Then, add the cheese cubes. Doing this helps soften the cheese more quickly and keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan. The cheese will slowly begin to melt but make sure to stir often.
- Use a whisk to stir the mixture constantly. Ensure to eliminate all lumps from the mix. As it continues to cook, the ingredients will melt together.
- The mixture will be fully melted in about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let the cheese sauce slightly cooled down before serving. If you are transferring to another container, you should know that the longer it is on the heat, the thicker it will become. It will also thicken up once placed in a new bowl.
- Melt the butter in the pan over low heat. Immediately after that, add the milk to the mixture. Let the milk simmer but not boiling.
- Melting the butter first and simmering the milk helps to prevent the cheese from cooking too quickly and scorching the pan.
- If you discover that the formed lumps are not melting appropriately, whisk very hard and very quickly for up to 2 minutes.
- If you prefer, you may substitute the ingredients; you may choose low-fat cheeses and low-fat milk. It is essential to understand that these may result in a thinner, less flavorful cheese sauce.
- To prevent the mixture from burning to the bottom of the pan you are using, ensure that you continuously stir.
- Place your pan immediately in warm, soapy water once you have transferred the mixture to another container. This will help quickly eliminate the cheese before it has a chance to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- You may view the USDA Cheese Sauce Guidelines.
Other uses for cheese sauce
There are many, many uses for this particular cheese sauce. Probably a million uses! We use this sauce on and with a variety of dishes:
- On Shrimp
- As a Dip
- Baked Potatoes
- In Casseroles
How do I get lumps out from the cheese sauce?
Remove it from heat so it can cool. Then, vigorously whisk the sauce for up to 2 minutes and add either a spoonful of lemon juice or cream to bring the sauce back together. You must go fast and go hard to get all of those lumps out.
What can be done if the sauce burns to the pan?
It all depends on just how severe of an issue that you have on your hands. If it is only mild, don’t worry too much over the issue. If the sauce is not yet thoroughly cooked and starts to burn, pour it directly into another pan and finish preparing it.
It is important to stir constantly. Once you remove it from the burnt pan, allow it to soak in warm water that includes plenty of soap. That way, once you start washing it, the burned-on stains will wipe away with ease.
How long will the cheese sauce good for?
Never allow the sauce to remain sitting out for longer than 2 hours. It must be refrigerated. Once in the fridge, you should consume it within 5 days.
How to reheat the cheese sauce?
- There are several ways to reheat this cheese sauce. You may place it in a pan on the stove, add a little milk or an alternative, and then heat it over low heat. Be sure to use a whisk and continuously stir to eliminate all lumps.
- You may place it in a bowl and heat it in the microwave. Set it to 1 minute each time until the desired temperature is reached.
You may also pour the sauce over noodles and stir.
Creative Serving Solutions
An Ideal Food for Dipping!
Dip the following into your savory cheese sauce:
- Tortilla Chips
- Pita Bread
- Soft Pretzels
- French Fries
- Chicken Nuggets
You may use this sauce for toppings on other meals and products!
Drizzle this delicious sauce over the following:
How to thicken the sauce without flour
In most instances, some creamer is required and a form of “roux” to thicken up any cheese sauce; you can do this without using the flour.
Allow the cheese to serve as the thickener. You may add additional cream cheese if you like, or cook for a bit longer while stirring constantly.
Nacho cheese ingredients
In most cases, we all associated that yellow processed cheese with nacho cheese. We all love this type of cheese, but it is not at all good for your body -especially with all of those starched and hydrogenated oils.
By choosing this cheese sauce recipe, you are opting for a much healthier nacho cheese.
Which cheese is best for nachos?
Any cream-based cheese makes a fantastic addition to nachos. In our opinion, the following is the best:
- Monterey Jack
Note:Cheddar cheese is delicious on nachos; however, it is not a cheese capable of melting very well. If you have sharp cheddar, you will face even more issues with melting. You will need to melt and use a thickener to use cheddar varieties.
How to avoid curdled or gritty cheese sauce
When learning how to make cheese sauce without flour, you must know the steps to avoid your sauce’s grittiness. It only takes 160°F for the cheese to start the separation process. The secret is to cook low and long.
Prevent curdling by avoiding the following:
- Turning the heat too high. Never let the sauce boil. It would help if you always cooked on the lowest setting possible.
- Using alternative milk solutions. Whole milk is always the best. The fat contained in whole milk is part of the secret to creating a very creamy cheese sauce.
- Using alternatives to the cheeses highlighted in the recipe – especially “sharp” varieties.
- Using cheese chunks that are too large. This will create lumps that cause uneven cooking, which will always result in too gritty cheese sauce.
What is a simple white cheese sauce perfect for nachos?
When learning how to make cheese sauce without flour, you will likely hear others inquiring about how exactly this is possible. It IS possible!
Cheese is a naturally thick food product. You must ensure that it comes out creamy and extremely smooth. Just take your cheese and melt it directly in your milk -it is THAT simple!
The type of cheese that you choose will greatly impact how well your cheese sauce turns out.
As stated before, “sharp” cheeses do not melt well. Other cheeses – such as parmesan – do not melt well. Avoid these cheeses.
American cheese is the best for the following reasons:
1. It has an appealing color that looks fantastic on nachos (and tastes fantastic, too!)2. It is capable of melting easily, quickly, and mixing very well!
Just add your cheese to milk and stir frequently; this will not require any flour and makes the PERFECT sauce for nachos!
Try using this exotic sauce over your baked potatoes and casseroles, too!
- Waffled Pizza Fries
- Fried Calamari Recipe
- Carne Asad Fries