This Alfredo Sauce with milk is amazing and the easiest homemade alfredo recipe with milk you will ever make.
Compared to other homemade alfredo sauce recipes it is a thick and creamy Alfredo sauce without cream or cream cheese but you would never know it.
Yes, you can make an amazingly delicious Alfredo recipe with milk instead of cream!
Alfredo Sauce with Milk
My Easy Homemade Fettuccini Alfredo Sauce is made with milk.
It is the best Alfredo sauce recipe ever made without cream cheese or cream.
You could call it a skinny alfredo sauce but once you taste it you will never buy jarred Alfredo sauce again!
If you love easy & amazing recipes join the Flour On My Face Newsletter and get each of my new recipes delivered right to your inbox.
How to make homemade Alfredo sauce with milk instead of cream
When I was a child my mother would make a homemade white sauce to pour over vegetables.
I loved this homemade sauce as a child and it’s probably the reason I ate vegetables like spinach and Brussel sprouts as I was growing up.
One day a few years ago (ha like 12 years ago but who’s counting?) I was in the mood for some Fettuccine Alfredo but didn’t have any Alfredo sauce on hand.
I decided to make my own alfredo sauce using the recipe my mother made as a base.
At the time, I had no idea how an alfredo sauce was made.
Years later when I looked it up I saw most alfredo recipes have cream cheese added or cream.
To be honest, I prefer the way my homemade alfredo sauce tastes so much better.
This homemade alfredo sauce recipe made with milk is thick rich and creamy.
And by making it yourself you can season it to your own liking.
Easy Alfredo sauce with milk
This easy homemade Alfredo Sauce recipe makes enough Alfredo sauce to cover 1 pound of fettuccine noodles.
You can divide it in half with no problem if you need to prepare a smaller amount.
You can also half the alfredo sauce recipe and omit the Parmesan cheese and use it as a cream sauce for over vegetables if you’re not in the mood for fettuccine Alfredo.
Homemade Alfredo sauce recipe without cream
More Alfredo Sauce Recipes
Check out my Alfredo Sauce Recipe page for more delicious homemade Alfredo sauce recipes.
How to make Homemade Alfredo Sauce with milk
- 1 lb box of fettuccine noodles, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ to ¾ a cup of grated Parmesan cheese or a parmesan cheese blend
- Cook the pasta as directed on the box in the salted water.
- Start boiling the water about 10 minutes before you start making your sauce.
- You want to have the pasta ready at about the same time your sauce will be finished.
To make the Alfredo sauce:
- Add the butter, salt, and pepper to a heavy, medium-sized pot. Heat over a medium heat. You don’t want to use too small of a pot because you will be whisking the sauce as it cooks and thickens. If the pot is too small the sauce could splash and drip over the side of the pot making a big mess.
- Once the butter has melted add the flour and whisk until smooth, removing all lumps from the flour.
- Slowly pour the milk in and whisk until smooth again. Turn the heat up a bit to about medium-high.
- Add ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese, whisk until combined. Taste to see if the flavor of Parmesan is strong enough for you. If not, add the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Continue whisking until the sauce has thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. The sauce will thicken even further as it cools. If it thickens too much before you can add it to your pasta thin it with a little pasta water or milk.
- Drain your pasta and put into a large bowl. Pour the Alfredo sauce over the pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately with a crusty french bread or a slice of homemade white bread.
Print the Alfredo Sauce with milk recipe below
This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is very versatile.
You can make a cheese sauce by substituting the parmesan cheese with cheddar cheese.
If you like a little spice to your fettuccine Alfredo sauce sprinkle ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes in the sauce when you remove it from the heat.
You can also add some broccoli and cooked chicken if you like to make Chicken Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo.
More recipes using this homemade alfredo sauce with milk recipe can be found on my Alfredo Sauce recipes page.
More recipes you’ll love
- Alfredo Sauce Recipes
- Crock Pot Spicy Chicken Alfredo
- Alfredo Sauce With Half and Half
- Smoked Gouda Alfredo Sauce
- Basil Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Leave a comment if you have a question about this or any other recipes I have shared. Tried one of my recipes? Leave a star rating on the recipe. Leaving a rating really helps me out. Thanks! Come hang out with me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
Click the buttons below in the recipe card to print, save to Pinterest or save the recipe to your favorites.