Churrasco steak and chimichurri is a popular dish here in South Florida. Churrasco is grilled steak and chimichurri is a parsley and oil sauce that adds amazing flavor.
This meal is a favorite at my house, and that’s great because it’s super easy to make.
Pair the steaks with white rice and a side of veggies and dinner is done!
What is chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a condiment of Argentinian origin that is typically served with meat. It’s a simple combination of parsley, olive oil, vinegar and spices that makes a wonderful addition to steaks, chicken and pork. Although, my husband will put it on rice, beans, bread and anything else he can think of.
Make it ahead of time to let the flavors really meld together. Chimichurri will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, just let it come to room temperature and give it a good stir before using.
Churrasco steak and chimichurri ingredients
- 1 Bunch Parsley (1 cup firmly packed or 2 cups if not packed firmly)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced or grated
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided (we use kosher salt)
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
- 2 pounds Churrasco (we used outside skirt steak), about 2 large pieces
How to make chimichurri
- Wash the parsley thoroughly and pat dry. Chop it as fine as possible.
- Add the chopped parsley to a medium bowl. Add the oregano, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, olive oil and vinegar. Stir the chimichurri well until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Refrigerate the chimichurri for at least one hour to allow the flavors to meld together. Remove it from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Refrigerate any unused portion, the chimichurri will keep for a few days.
How to grill churrasco steaks
Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let them sit out for a few minutes to take the chill off prior to grilling.
Season the steaks with a generous amount of salt, about 1 teaspoon. Cook the steaks on a preheated grill over moderately high heat for a few minutes on each side until the desired doneness is reached. Let the steaks rest for a few minutes prior to slicing to allow the juices to redistribute.
How to serve the steak
For best results slice skirt or flap steak against the grain to avoid tough, chewy meat.
Serve the churrasco steak and chimichurri with white rice and vegetables like we do here. The grape tomatoes are skewered and grilled and simply seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Makes 4 servings of steak (8 ounce pieces) and makes about 1 cup of chimichurri
You may also like these recipes:
- Chicken Foil Packs
- Shrimp Foil Packet
- Mushroom Pork Chops
- Steak and Mushrooms
- Stovetop Pot Roast