Dalgona Espresso is a chilly latte drink that comes with a velvety clean and candy espresso foam on high. The mixture of chilly milk and the bittersweet espresso is solely a match made in heaven. And the very best half is you can make it with none particular machines – all you want is a few arm muscle and persistence.
Dalgona Espresso is the newest massive pattern in Korea – particularly in these unusual occasions of so many being quarantined at house because of the Coronavirus epidemic. I even watched a video of a Korean grandma attempting to make the froth with only a spoon… lol.. and he or she was not pleased as a result of it was taking so looong..
Now, why is it known as Dalgona Espresso?? The candy and bitter style of the espresso foam has is similar to Dalgona, and the colour too – therefore the title. I feel it’s an ideal drink for individuals who miss going to espresso outlets and in addition who’ve some further time on their palms. Make this and it’ll undoubtedly put a smile in your face 😊😊as a result of it tastes nearly as good because it appears to be like.
And we definitely all have some further time on our palms, don’t we??? 😜😝 Properly, when life provides you lemons.. 🍋🍋 the familycuisine.internet.
So, I made this in about 10 occasions in all – to experiment utilizing totally different strategies and components and in addition as a result of I might overlook to take video or photograph of a sure step… I’ve to say, it didn’t work the primary couple occasions however I labored every part out now and you’ll succeed – in the event you observe my directions exactly.
FAQ on How one can make Dalgona Espresso
- Does it need to be On the spot Espresso? No, you can also make it with drip espresso with a filter nevertheless it must be very robust like an espresso. I’ll present you learn how to make it on the backside of the submit. French Press and Mocha Pot is not going to work effectively since these are brewed, not filtered drip espresso.
- Can I scale back the sugar quantity? Sure. I attempted it with 1/2 the sugar quantity however you’ll solely get a soft-peak foam and the colour will likely be darker – so it sort of works..
- Do I would like a particular instrument like milk frother, hand mixer or stand mixer? No. You may completely make it by hand however you have to a good spherical whisk (flat one just isn’t nearly as good) and an enormous mixing bowl to permit extra air to get in. However a hand mixer or stand mixer will make your life simpler and will likely be faster. Milk frother didn’t work for me (perhaps mine was a foul one).
- Can I make a sizzling latte as an alternative of chilly? After all! Simply this morning, I warmed up some milk after which topped it with some leftover foam from yesterday and it was so yummy!!!
- Can I refrigerate the Dalgona foam? Sure. It can hold for a few days however will most likely begin to develop into watery after.
- Do I actually need to whip it 400 or 4000 occasions by hand or how lengthy? I do know some web posts say it is advisable to whip so many occasions. Properly.. not 4000 however just about 350-400. I hand whipped it for about 2 min and 30~40 seconds (with out stopping) and I counted that I whisked about 350 occasions throughout that interval (no, I didn’t depend all 350. I simply counted about 70 strokes in 30 seconds so it involves about 350). Simply whip it till stiff peaks type. ** I noticed that some Korean recipes used a spoon as an alternative of a whisk – in the event you use a spoon, I’m positive it can take a lot for much longer. I feel I noticed one blogger say it took her 10 minutes utilizing a spoon.
- My foam just isn’t forming the stiff peak, ought to I simply whisk longer? Sure and no. Making the froth with drip espresso (not on the spot) took about 3 occasions as lengthy within the mixer so typically doing it longer helps however in the event you don’t see any change in a minute of whipping, there’s most likely one thing flawed.
Servings 1~2 Prep + Prepare dinner Time: 5 minutes Problem: EASY
- In a big mixing bowl, add espresso, sugar and HOT water in 1:1:1 ratio.
- By hand 🤚- utilizing a spherical whisk, first combine the espresso, sugar and water till every part is melted. Then begin whisking!!! It ought to type a stiff peak in about 2 minute and 30-40 seconds OR whisk about 400 occasions.
- IMPORTANT – use giant mixing bowl (having sufficient house on your whisk to whip air in) and spherical whisk (fork or spoon will likely be too laborious). Tilt at an angle. Watch video.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer – first combine at lowest pace till all of the espresso and sugar are dissolved. Then flip the pace to highest setting and blend for 1 min 30 seconds or till laborious peaks type. I’ve a Kitchenaid stand mixer and on it, it takes about 1 min and 30 seconds on highest pace. Handmixer most likely goes to be a bit of longer because it’s not as highly effective however ought to work wonderful. Put aside.
- OPTIONAL – make some Dalgona (Korean sponge sweet) by following my recipe HERE. This provides an ideal crunchy and candy topping to the froth.
- Fill 2/third of a cup with chilly milk (about 1/2 cup) and add some ice.
- Spoon the froth and add it to the highest of the cup. High it with Dalgona items or attempt sprinkle the highest with some sizzling cocoa powder or cinnamon. Combine it with a spoon to make a latte or simply take pleasure in it as is with a bit of foam and milk multi function sip. ENJOY!!!☕️🥛
Utilizing Drip Espresso as an alternative of On the spot
We solely drink drip espresso at house and normally don’t have any on the spot espresso. So, I really needed to go to the market to purchase on the spot espresso simply to check the recipe. However we are able to’t all the time get or have on the spot espresso.. so I attempted utilizing our common floor espresso and right here’s what I did –
Read more: How long does it take for coffee to freeze
FYI – This substitutes 2 Tbs of on the spot espresso + 2 Tbs sizzling water.
To a cup, add 3 1/2 Tbsp espresso floor powder and 5 Tbsp of HOT water. Let it steep for 2-3 minutes – like beneath:
** I’ve to say utilizing drip espresso is kind of tough. Please be aware, the outcomes could range relying on the kind of espresso floor powder you’ve. And I do know it is a LOT of espresso so it’s fairly costly so far as price goes.
And utilizing a espresso filter (I’ve these cute cup dimension filter I purchased in Korea), pour out the espresso liquid. It’s possible you’ll have to squeeze out some remaining liquid.
This could make about 2 Tbs of very robust espresso. Now, all it is advisable to do is to add sugar after which whip it up! BTW, you have to to whisk longer when utilizing drip espresso – about 8 – 10 minutes utilizing a stand mixer utilizing a whisk attachment. And by hand.. effectively, it can most likely be like 13 minutes or extra… I do know.. which is simply too lengthy however simply letting it’s doable.
Above is the froth made with concentrated drip espresso utilizing my stand mixer. I used my favourite Philz espresso grinds and personally, I actually choose this model had a much less bitter style and naturally significantly better taste. BTW, you’ll most likely not get a really stiff peak with drip espresso however someplace between a delicate and a stiff peak.
The purpose is to make very concentrated robust espresso (extra for taste than the rest). I’ve tried making it with only a Starbucks brewed espresso (LEFT within the image beneath) and it labored equally (softer peak) however the espresso style was actually weak.
Read more: How to make turkish coffee without cezve
However whether or not you get a stiff peak or not, the drip espresso model does style higher than the moment espresso model for my part.
STORAGE – you’ll be able to retailer leftover foam within the fridge. The moment espresso foam is kind of steady and can hold for couple of days no less than. The drip espresso model will begin to separate and you will notice the espresso liquid accumulating on the underside after a day or so however the taste will nonetheless be good.
Properly, that’s it! Take pleasure in!!!
☆ Did you make this recipe? I hope you may give me a 5 star ranking beneath!
You may as well FOLLOW ME on YouTube, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM or be a part of my FACEBOOK GROUP to see, ask and share every part about Korean meals with others identical to you!