- Best ripe banana recipe ever
- How to make Healthy Banana Bars
- How can I ripen bananas quickly?
- Chocolate Chip Banana Recipe ingredients
- How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Dessert Bars
- Have more ripe bananas? Here are our favorite RIPE BANANA RECIPES:
- Can you use frozen bananas in banana bars?
- Can you freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Bars?
- Are banana bars gluten free?
Chocolate Chip Banana Bars are a simple & delicious ripe banana recipe that’s even better than banana bread! Great for breakfast, lunch and even dessert! Check out all the 5 star reviews- everyone raves about this easy banana recipe!
Be sure to check out our updated collection of BEST BANANA RECIPES EVER here, and our updated collection of PERFECT POTLUCK RECIPES here!
Reading: how to make dessert with bananas
Best ripe banana recipe ever
How to make Healthy Banana Bars
-I use brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar to add more sweetness with less sugar. That being said, you can decrease the sugar to 1/2 cup. Just make sure you’re using VERY ripe bananas to add sweetness there.
-You can replace half or all of the oil with applesauce. I’m more of a fan of using half coconut oil and half applesauce, personally.
-Use almond or cashew milk in place of regular milk
-Add in 2-3 TBSP of ground flax! No one will notice and it gives an added boost of fiber.
-Check out my double chocolate version of this recipe. I added cocoa powder and tons of ground spinach. No one can taste the difference and if you blend the spinach small enough (blending it with the coconut oil helps) you can’t see the difference either.
How can I ripen bananas quickly?
Ripe bananas are used in banana bread because they have a stronger, more pronounced flavor. There are several ways to help bananas ripen faster so that you can make banana bread. Here are my preferred methods:
- Ripen bananas in the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bananas peel and all on the parchment and bake for 30-40 minutes, until peels are black & shiny. Let cool 1 hour and proceed with banana bread recipe.
- Ripen bananas in a paper bag. If you have more time, place bananas in a paper bag with an apple. Fold and secure closed. I usually leave bananas like this for a full day, then proceed with the Banana Nut Bread recipe.
Chocolate Chip Banana Recipe ingredients
Here’s what you need to make our Chocolate Chip Banana Bars~
-5 very ripe bananas (about 1 2/3 cup) – yes, you can use frozen bananas! Once you’re ready to use the frozen bananas, thaw them out slightly, then peel them and place the bananas in a bowl. Once they’re fully thawed, drain out the liquid and proceed with the recipe.
-3/4 cup brown sugar
Read more: how to make dessert with flour tortillas
-1/4 cup oil (any type- I use coconut)
-1/4 cup milk
-1 3/4 cup flour (I regularly swap out all-purpose flour for whole wheat!)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Dessert Bars
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 15×10.5″ pan with non-stick spray.
- Peel bananas and mash well. Stir in brown sugar, oil, milk and eggs until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and stir. Fold in 1/2 the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chips on top. Bake 18-22 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.
Yields 24 bars. Scroll down for PRINTABLE RECIPE.
I like to make a batch, then cool, cut and freeze in individual baggies. Since they’re filling, they make a wonderful snack, breakfast or school lunch addition.
Read more: Make Ahead Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits (Video)
Have more ripe bananas? Here are our favorite RIPE BANANA RECIPES:
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Banana Split Milkshakes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- Banana Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Nutella Banana Muffins
Can you use frozen bananas in banana bars?
A lot of people freeze over ripe bananas to use them later on in banana bars. It’s a simple way to amass a collection of ripe bananas to use in this recipe. you don’t even have to peel the bananas prior to freezing! Once you’re ready to use them in this banana bars recipe, thaw them out slightly, then peel them and place the bananas in a bowl. Once they’re fully thawed, drain out the liquid and proceed with the recipe.
Can you freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Bars?
Yes! I freeze these banana bars often! My favorite way to freeze them is to cut them into 2″-3″ squares and place in a small baggie. Place all of the individual baggies in a larger ziplock bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Then you have individual servings of chocolate chip banana bars that are perfect for an on-the-go snack or school lunch! You can also freeze a half pan of these banana bars. Instead of baking in a 10×15 pan, bake them in 2 quarter bakers sheets or 9×13 pans. Simply cool fully, then cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Are banana bars gluten free?
My traditional recipe for chocolate chip banana bars does contain gluten, however you can substitute a gluten-free flour blend or use almond flour instead. If you swap out regular flour with almond flour, just add a rounded teaspoon of baking soda instead.
Read more: mildew used to make dessert wine