Candy Fermented Rice, or jiu niang (酒酿), additionally referred to as Candy Rice Wine, 甜米酒 (tian mi jiu) has quite a few different Chinese language names relying on what a part of China you’re from: 醪糟 (lao zao) ,米酒 (mi jiu), 甜酒 (tian jiu), 糯米酒 (nuo mi jiu), 江米酒 (jiang mi jiu), and 酒糟 (jiu zao). It’s made with candy rice (AKA sticky rice, or glutinous rice) that’s fermented with a distiller’s yeast we name 酒曲 (jiu qu) in Chinese language.
Makes use of for Candy Fermented Rice
Rising up, elders would college us younger children on the well being advantages of candy fermented rice-its capability to “warm your insides” and enhance blood movement. After a little analysis, it seems that candy fermented rice might have many related well being advantages as yogurt, however it’s dairy-free!
Some say it acts as an anti-inflammatory, aids in digestion, and is prized as a house treatment for recovering new moms and for ladies throughout “that time of the month.” Within the bone-chilling winter months, I discover a sizzling porridge of candy fermented rice can actually assist preserve you are feeling robust and energized.
So it’s not arduous to know why this thousand-year-old meals merchandise has survived as a beloved meals in the present day and the way culinary functions vary from sweets to breads to well-known savory dishes like Braised Pork Stomach with Candy Fermented Rice (酒酿红烧肉):
- For a breakfast or dessert, you may add it on to a bowl with cooked sticky rice balls and/or a poached egg.
- For candy breads or Asian buns, use the candy fermented rice to interchange a part of the yeast and sugar, relying on the recipe, giving the dough a refreshing, candy, and fragrant wine taste.
- For savory dishes, use the candy fermented rice to interchange sugar for a balanced pure sweetness. It’s particularly good for savory braised dishes like braised fish and pork.
- I do know loads of individuals who adore it plain by the spoonful, too! Within the photographs for this candy fermented rice publish, we served it merely with some candy glutinous rice balls as a lightweight dessert.
Ideas for Fermenting Your Personal Rice
Making candy fermented rice at house just isn’t solely simple, it’s economical. Listed below are some tips to make your fermentation endeavor a hit:
Every part that is available in contact with the candy rice (earlier than, throughout and after) have to be clear and uncontaminated; in any other case, mildew will develop and you’ll have to discard the entire batch.
- The fermentation time is way shorter (24 to 48 hours) in the summertime vs. within the winter, when it may well take days. The perfect fermentation temperature is someplace between 80-85F.
- To dissolve the Chinese language distiller’s yeast or jiu qu (酒曲), use heat (not sizzling!) water within the wintertime and chilly water within the summertime. I made this batch in December, and the fermentation took six days.
- There’s no have to fully dissolve the distiller’s yeast. It would mix with the candy rice effectively sufficient throughout preparation and fermentation.
- Fermentation must happen in a heat place (e.g., close to a furnace or beneath a thick blanket).
- Use clear plastic wrap or a transparent glass cowl so you may verify the fermentation course of each day with out exposing the rice to oxygen.
With Chinese language New 12 months approaching, pre-make a batch for when household is visiting and also you’re busy cooking up a storm for the large Chinese language New 12 months’s Eve feast!
Candy Fermented Rice Recipe Directions
Read more: show me how to make potato soup
Wash the candy rice a few occasions, after which soak in chilly water in a single day in a clear glass or ceramic bowl. The water degree needs to be two inches above the rice to go away room for the rice to broaden.
The subsequent day, drain off the water. Prepare the soaked candy rice in a skinny layer on a plate lined with parchment paper. You can too put the parchment instantly on the steaming floor. Steam for half-hour till all of the rice grains flip clear. Take away from the warmth and let it cool.
Grind the Chinese language distiller’s yeast in between two layers of parchment paper with a rolling pin, then combine it in with ¾ cup heat water. Use your kitchen digital scale for finest outcomes!
As soon as the steamed rice is cooled to the contact, switch it to a clear (grease free) bowl or container, pour the yeast combination over the rice. Stir effectively to mix every thing, degree out the rice, and create a crater within the middle.
Tightly cowl the bowl with clear plastic wrap, place it in a heat place in the home to start out the fermentation course of, and verify it each day!
The fermentation course of will probably be full when the liquid or ensuing rice wine is on the identical degree because the rice. Additionally, the rice will look mushy and joined collectively as one mass. Seen bubbles within the rice wine is regular. When you may detect all of those indicators, it’s time to elevate the duvet and have a style utilizing a clear spoon, don’t cross contaminate. The liquid ought to style candy with a wine-like aroma, and the rice ought to have the feel of cooked oatmeal.
Switch to the fridge instantly to cease any extra fermentation. Your fermented rice will final for 1-2 months within the fridge.
One necessary word: this candy fermented rice recipe could be very candy and really low in alcohol ranges, so it’s okay for all ages, however NOT essentially for everybody relying in your well being situations. Please take pleasure in at your individual discretion!
This easy dessert of candy glutinous rice balls blended with fermented rice jiu niang is a good dessert to complete any meal.
Read more: how to use celery root in soup