A garlic butter crab recipe to satisfy your seafood cravings. Extra garlicky, buttery, savory, slightly sweet with a hint of spicy. Definitely worth getting your hands messy!
Garlic Butter Crab Recipe
Craving for seafood and ready to get your hands messy? Then this recipe is absolutely for you!
Reading: how to make garlic crab sauce
It’s essentially an Asian-style crab. You’ll love this because:
- I will show you how to prepare and clean the crabs. Photos included! You’re welcome 🙂
- The garlic butter sauce is so easy to make. No complicated steps.
- The sauce is so finger-lickin’ good! Packed with bold Asian flavors that perfectly complement the crab.
Garlic Butter Sauce Ingredients
And here’s what you need to make the sauce.
- Garlic – lots of it! I used two bulbs for maximum flavor.
- Butter – use pure unsalted butter for the best flavor.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – I used my favorite Thai sweet chili sauce.
- Oyster Sauce – for a bit of umami-ness.
- Chicken Bouillon or powder – for more depth of flavor.
How to Prepare the Crabs
I know this part is not everyone’s favorite but IT MUST BE DONE!
Before anything else, make sure to buy live crabs or pre-cooked crab for convenience. There’s no third option. This means you need to absolutely avoid dead raw crabs. They’re mushy and generally don’t taste good.
As soon as you get home, soak the crabs in tap water for 30 minutes to purge their internal system. Next place in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. This will put them to sleep before cooking.
How to Clean the Crabs
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add ginger, and black peppercorns. Add the crabs and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until they start to float. Transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Start cleaning by removing the top shell.
- Cut in half with a knife. Don’t discard the crab fat. Save it for the sauce later.
- Remove the gills with your hands.
- Finally, crack the claws with a mallet or a cracker. This will allow the sauce to steep inside and flavore the crab meat.
The BEST Garlic Butter Sauce
And here’s how to make it! So easy!
Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Watch carefully to prevent it from burning.
Pour the seasonings-sweet chili sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken bouillon. Continue cooking over low heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the crabs including the crab fat (butter).
Toss for a good few minutes until the crab is drenched in the sauce. Yum!
Enjoy with a cold bottle of beer or make it as a main dish and serve it with rice Asian-style.
Love Asian flavors? Try these recipes:
- Sweet and Sour Whole Fish
- Thai Basil Beef Zucchini Stir-fry
- Quick and Easy Korean Beef Bulgogi
- Salmon Teriyaki Fried Rice
- Emergency Korean Bibimbap
- Quick and Easy Beef Stir-fry
- Pork Fried Rice
- Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple
- Brown Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage
- Ground Pork and Green Bean Stir fry
- Misua Soup with Sesame Pork Meatballs
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to familycuisine.net.