- The Joy of Fried Burritos
- Use Different Meat
- Make a Mild Burrito
- Use Different Cheese
- Serve Them Up with Sauce
- Serving Fried Burritos
- Storing the Burritos
- Try These Fried Burritos for Yourself
- How To Fold a Burrito
- Can You Put Frozen Burritos in the Air Fryer
- Ingredients Needed to Make These Fried Burritos
- How to Make These Fried Burritos
- For The Burritos
- Frying The Burritos
Fried burritos are a delicious southwestern classic. Filled with beef, pork, ground beef, jalapeño, onion, garlic. beans, Rotel and SO MUCH CHEESE, this recipe is one that sticks to your ribs. You will absolutely know you’ve eaten something amazing after you’ve devoured one (or more) of these delicious burritos.
Reading: how to make homemade fried burritos
Fried burritos have always been a staple in my home. In fact, I’ve been making them for over 30+ years. Believe it or not, I used to make around 100 of them at a time. I’d make these homemade burritos, fry them up, and wrap each one in foil for freezing. It was a bit of work to make so many burritos, but it was well worth it to have them on hand. All anyone had to do was take them out of the freezer and reheat them in the oven, microwave, and now, the air fryer.
Everyone loves a big, fat burrito. Well, at least everyone in my family. And if your family is anything like mine, a huge beef burrito filled with beans, cheese, and all the tex-mex flavors that we love is always a huge hit. I have family members who have taken them to work and eaten them on the go while they went about their business. They’re that good.
The Joy of Fried Burritos
You’ve heard of fried burritos, deep fried burritos, even if you don’t know it. These accidental creations are called chimichangas. So if you haven’t heard of fried burritos, you’ve probably heard the word “chimichanga”, even if it was just in the movie, Deadpool.
Fried burritos were an accidental invention. Someone inadvertently dropped a burrito into a deep fat fryer, and the rest, as they say, is history. You know what isn’t history, though? Everyone’s love of this delicious fried food.
My famous burrito is filled to capacity with everything you’ve ever loved about a burrito. It’s a beef burrito recipe, it’s a pork burritos it’s a GOOD burrito. Scratch that. It’s an excellent burrito. These are perfect for Taco Tuesdays, game days, summer bashes, or just a weekend snack grabbed straight from the freezer when you don’t feel like cooking. However and whenever you choose to make them, they’ll always be a hit with your family and friends.
The fact that I threw everything except the tex-mex kitchen sink into these burritos should be your first clue to the fact that these fried burritos are super versatile. Honestly, you can do anything you want with them as long as you have the tortilla for wrapping. My burritos use beef, pork and ground beef along with two different cheeses and several hot and spicy ingredients, but you can do whatever strikes your fancy when you get bored with this recipe.
Use Different Meat
Of course, beef or pork is the classic burrito meat, but you can totally get creative. Chicken works well in these burritos, as does turkey. In fact, you could actually make a holiday leftover fried burrito using your leftover turkey.
Make a Mild Burrito
We love heat in my home, but maybe you don’t. If that’s the case, simply leave out the jalapenos and green chilies. You’ll still get a touch of heat from the pepper jack cheese. If you don’t want any heat, change the pepper jack cheese, as well. And speaking of changing cheeses…
Use Different Cheese
The great thing about cheese is that you really can’t go wrong with any of it – well, mostly. Obviously, I wouldn’t recommend using feta in a dish like this, but any kind of shredded cheese will work in this beef burrito recipe. Some great options include:
- Monterey Jack
- Colby Jack
- Taco Cheese Blend
- Mexican Cheese Blend
Serve Them Up with Sauce
A good burrito is even better when you dip it in a dipping sauce. I love to serve this fried beef and bean burrito recipe with classic tex-mex and Mexican sauces. It really adds a nice layer of flavor to an already delicious meal. Some great options include:
- Salsa Verde
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ranch (It goes with everything)
Serving Fried Burritos
These delicious fried burritos are so good fresh or even reheated from frozen. They’re easy to make and even easier to serve because they’re a complete meal in and of themselves. They’re packed with beef, pork, beans, and more, and they incredibly hearty.
To serve them up, all you need is a plate! If you’re serving a frozen burrito, simply reheat it in any way you like, and you’re ready to go. I’m not usually a fan of the microwave for these, but I’ve found they come out absolutely wonderfully straight from the microwave, making them even easier, but they are no longer crispy.
Storing the Burritos
As I already mentioned, I used to make these by the truckload and freeze them. It works so well! You wouldn’t think it would because they’re fried, but they actually come out perfectly. To freeze these burritos, simply let them cool completely, wrap them tightly in foil or plastic wrap, and then place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bags. That’s it.
Try These Fried Burritos for Yourself
These fried burritos are so easy to make, and they taste so, so good. It only takes a little sautéing and then some pan-frying to create these delicious, crispy fried burritos, and you’ll have your friends and family coming back for more again and again.
With a recipe this delicious, there’s no reason not to give them a try. And being able to make a ton of them in advance is so perfect for meal planning! Give this recipe a try. I know you and your family will love it.
How To Fold a Burrito
After tortilla has been heated and the meat mixture has been added, take both sides of the tortilla and fold towards the middle over the meat. Next, take the tortilla, the end closest to you, and fold over the top of the meat. As you are folding over the top, tuck in the sides and finish rolling the burrito.
Can You Put Frozen Burritos in the Air Fryer
Yes, The air fryer works fantastic when reheating these fried burritos. Place two at a time into the basket, set the temperature to 370° and heat for 10 minutes. They come out so crispy and delicious. The microwave works well too. The burritos will not be crispy but they are still delicious. Or you can reheat them in the oven.
Ingredients Needed to Make These Fried Burritos
- Ground Beef
- Green Bell Pepper
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Beef Broth
- Pinto Beans
- Black Beans
- Refried Beans
- Diced Green Chilies
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Flour Tortillas
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make These Fried Burritos
For The Burritos
- Dice pork and beef into bite sized chunks.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat and cook beef and pork until meat is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In the same large skillet, add ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook until meat is no longer pink and vegetables have become tender. Add garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain and set side.
- In a large Dutch oven, place all cooked meat into pan and add beef broth.
- Let broth come to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat to low and let it simmer until the beef broth has mostly been absorbed.
- Drain and rinse pinto and black beans and place into Dutch oven. Add refried beans, Rotel, and diced green chilies. Stir until well combined and continue cooking over low heat until heated through, stirring frequently.
Frying The Burritos
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels, set aside.
- Preheat a non stick pan over medium heat. Place tortilla in pan for approximately 20-30 seconds, turn tortilla over and repeat until tortilla is heated thoroughly.
- Place a couple heaping tablespoons of meat mixture into the middle of the tortilla, top with cheese, and fold into a burrito.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, or frying pan, over medium high heat.
- Carefully place 2-3 burritos at a time into hot oil and fry until golden brown, turn over and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Continue frying until all burritos have been cooked.
- Place cooked burritos on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Serve hot, with sour cream, and enjoy!
Ready to Try These Tasty Burritos?
Here are a few more delicious recipes that can be found on the blog.
- Fried Rib Eye Breakfast Burritos
- Hatch Chicken Burritos
- Awesome Chicken Burritos
- Flap Meat Burritos
Here are a few pics that are perfect to pin to your Pinterest boards.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.
Read more: Quick and Easy Stir Fry | Family Cuisine