This Baked Ravioli recipe takes frozen ravioli and combines it with a homemade pasta sauce and lots of cheese. It’s super easy and super filling!
PIN IT FOR LATER!
If you love ravioli, make sure you also check out this Ravioli with Pumpkin Alfredo or this Easy Ravioli with Sausage and Brussels Sprouts!
What do you do when you want a homemade dinner but don’t have hours and hours to get one on the table?
You do semi-homemade!!
This Baked Ravioli recipe has been a favorite in our house for years now. You start with a homemade pasta sauce but use store-bought ravioli to make this a recipe you can pull off on a weeknight. It does take some time for the sauce to cook down, but the hands on time really is very minimal!
I love dinner ideas like this that take a store bought component and combine it with something homemade to make a dinner that is delicious and easy!
How to Make Baked Ravioli
- Start by making the sauce. Using a large skillet over medium heat, heat up some olive oil and add a medium chopped onion. Cook this, stirring as needed, until the onion is soft and turning translucent.
- When the onion is tender, add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, then season with salt and pepper.
- Next add your tomatoes. You’ll need one large can (28 oz) of whole tomatoes plus another large can of crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes. You’ll add the liquid as well – no need to drain the tomatoes. I love the chunkiness of the sauce from using the whole tomatoes, but if you don’t want a lot of chunks, feel free to use 2 cans of crushed tomatoes.
Also – you can use regular crushed tomatoes instead of the fire-roasted tomatoes, but I actually really love the smokiness that comes from the fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Add in your dried herbs and stir the sauce. Let it come to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to cook until it has thickened and reduced. You will need to stir it every once in awhile. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes. When it’s done, taste it and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook your ravioli. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add your pasta, and cook according to the package directions. This usually only takes a few minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot, then add the finished pasta sauce and gently stir to combine. You don’t want to break the ravioli open, so be gentle.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top it with lots of shredded mozzarella and parmesan, then bake it until the cheese is melted and everything is bubbling.
- Let the pasta sit for a few minutes before serving it. Top it with chopped parsley or basil, if desired.
What to Serve with Baked Ravioli
This is such a hearty meal, you don’t need a lot more! Here are a few of my favorite side dishes that would go perfectly with this ravioli!
Cheesy Garlic Bread Sesame Green Beans Crown Ruby Fruit Salad Glazed Carrots Antipasto Salad Divine Breadsticks Tomato and Herb Salad
More Favorite Pasta Recipes
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Lasagna Soup Recipe Shrimp Pasta in White Sauce Chicken Stuffed Shells Easy Parmesan Pasta