This Spicy BBQ Sauce will be your new favorite condiment! It’s easy to make and pairs perfectly with pizza, sandwiches, or burgers. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions are my own.
I have a barbecue sauce obsession. It culminates in this spicy bbq sauce recipe.
Reading: how to make homemade spicy bbq sauce
I must admit that bbq sauce is one of my favorite condiments. I’m very picky about it, and since my grocery store stopped selling my favorite store bought version, I needed to come up with something just right that I could make at home.
This spicy bbq sauce is just that – spicy. At first you get the sweetness of the pineapple juice and ketchup, and then all the spices start to warm your mouth and tingle your throat.
You can absolutely cut back on the spices if you’re not so tolerant but I recommend trying it this way at least once.
How to make spicy bbq sauce
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in a medium sauce pot
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add cornstarch mixed with water, stir, and simmer until thickened
- Serve immediately or transfer to a covered container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use
How to store homemade spicy bbq sauce
I like to store food in mason jars as much as possible. These large, wide-mouth jars (affiliate link to the ones I have) are just right for saving this sauce. If you only have a little leftover, these jars that I used in the photos are great too. It helps to have a funnel on hand so you get every last drop of sauce into the jar.
Read more: Spaghetti Aglio e Olio | Family Cuisine
Tips for customizing your spicy bbq sauce recipe:
- If you can’t find Creole seasoning you can substitute an equal amount of Cajun seasoning
- If you don’t have dark brown sugar, you can use light brown sugar and add a little more molasses
- Experiment with more cayenne pepper to make it even spicier
What to serve with spicy barbecue sauce
- BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- BBQ Chickpea Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- Homemade Veggie Nuggets
- The Best Crispy Tofu
- Oven Baked Potato Wedges