Korean fashion porridge, referred to as juk, is a merely rice, usually white rice, cooked down with 5 instances ratio of water to rice, simmered till the grains are damaged all the way down to porridge consistency. It’s like grits or oatmeal in some ways, or very toned down model of Chinese language congee. The dish is all about easy nourishment, particularly when one isn’t feeling effectively.
I used to be stunned to study of so many various sorts of porridges. The one juk I ever had rising up was the plain juk. Not even salt is added – you’ll be able to’t get any less complicated than that – as an alternative, it’s served with a bit soy sauce and toasted sesame oil on the facet. To me, it was consolation meals, that typically I’d need it even once I wasn’t sick, to which my Mother would by no means approve or simply assume that I used to be loopy.
I used to be launched to abalone porridge by Maangchi, now well-known for her YouTube demos on cooking simple Korean dishes. I needed to attempt it as a option to cook dinner the contemporary, reside abalone that I all the time see in retailers and fish markets. Frankly, I’m not even conscious of every other Korean dish that abalone is utilized in. The primary time I made it, it was good total however I couldn’t determine the abalone style, being it my first time to ever attempt it. After making it a couple of instances, I now understand the refined flavour of abalone, which to me it’s paying homage to seaweed with savoury, umami undertones.
Read more: how to make pumpkin soup with a real pumpkin
This final model is an tailored recipe based mostly on Maangchi, my Korean buddy who likes to cook dinner, and my very own minor variations, just like the brown rice. Clearly it’s more healthy to make use of brown rice over white, nevertheless it does change the dish considerably. Luckily for me, the darker color, additional texture and flavour of brown rice doesn’t trouble me, really I favor it, however if you wish to greatest respect the fragile flavour of abalone (which is relatively costly), it is perhaps higher to make use of white.
- 2 giant abalone, approx. 150g of meat
- 3/4 cup short-grain brown and white rice, soaked, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery (non-obligatory)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1-2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- salt to style
- 1 L water
1. Rinse the rice a number of instances, then cowl with chilly water and let it soak for two hours. Drain.
Read more: how to make applebee’s french onion soup
2. Clear the abalone by brushing the meat and shell beneath chilly water. Run a paring knife towards the shell, transferring your knife backwards and forwards to launch the meat round the entire shell. It’s good to do that on a plate as plenty of juices will come out that needs to be reserved. Put aside the greenish-brown entrails, finely chopped. Lower the meat in slices, then once more into small items.
2. Warmth a heavy backside pot on medium warmth. Add sesame oil, then the chopped greens and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes, then add the drained rice. Saute on barely larger warmth to toast the rice till it adjustments to partially translucent color, about 5 minutes. Combine within the brownish-green juices and entrails from the abalone.
3. Add 1 L chilly water to the pot, stir to launch bits from the underside. Deliver to a boil, and cut back the warmth to low. Cowl and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring often.
4. Stir in chopped abalone meat. Cowl, and cook dinner for one more 10-Quarter-hour, or till thick, creamy consistency is reached.
5. Season with fish sauce and salt to style. On the very finish, end with just some drops of toasted sesame oil, and serve. (Observe: could be garnished with chopped inexperienced onion or crushed roasted laver).
Read more: how to make chinese congee rice porridge