Easy warm Lemon Water Recipe. Plus health benefits, best tips on how to make it and how to prevent teeth enamel damage. Start your day with this refreshing and hydrating drink that is low calorie plus no sugar. It tastes amazing and is good for you!
For more healthy ideas to start your day, make sure to check out this green smoothie, chia seed pudding and almond flour banana muffins.
Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
I recently started drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning.
- Vitamins: Lemons contain a lot of vitamin C that boosts your immune system.
- Detox: Lemon water helps your digestion, flushes out toxins and cleanses the liver.
- Joints health: It helps reduce pain in your knees and joints.
You can read more about full benefits here. To reap the most benefits from hot lemon water you have to do it first thing in the morning. And it has to be warm.
Is Lemon Water Good for You?
I do not think drinking water with lemon is a cure for everything, but I still think this citrus water is pretty powerful. Just like kombucha, borscht soup or easy vegetable soup. So, while I don’t think lemon water is “a miracle pill”, there are definitely health benefits from drinking warm lemon water in the morning.
Final verdict: Lemon water is just good for you. Chances are you wouldn’t eat half a lemon on its own each day, so adding some to water is a great familycuisine.net even more lemon to your diet with these healthy baked goods! We love lemon in these healthy bars and zucchini bread.
Lemon + Water: That’s it! I do use a mix of cold water with boiling water to get water to a perfect warm temp before drinking. See tips below.
What Are the Best Lemons?
- “Regular” lemons: Yellow in colour and oblong lemons. Known as Eureka, Avalon or Bearss this is the “regular” lemon sold in most US and Canada supermarkets.
- Organic lemons: Due to the cultivation without chemicals or pesticides, organic lemons are the best lemons in terms of health benefits from their rind, peelings and juice.
- Not Meyer lemon: Meyer lemon is not true lemon but rather a hybrid of lemon and orange. It is more sweet and is often used for baking.
- Not bottled lemon juice: Bottled lemon juice contains preservatives and barely any health benefits left.
How to Make Lemon Water
- Squeeze lemon juice into a glass. Both hand held lemon reamer and glass lemon juicer reamer work well. It’s a matter of personal preference. The only difference – glass one catches the seeds.
- Add warm water. To make water warm, I mix boiling water with cold filtered water. Another option is to turn off kettle before water reaches boiling (you just have to wait by the kettle).
- Stir and enjoy: With a spoon and drink while warm.
Tips to Prevent Teeth Enamel Damage
A reader brought to my attention that water with citrus (lemons, limes, grapefruits and apple cider water) can damage your teeth enamel with time. Dr. Sara Solomon gives us 5 tips to prevent teeth damage without giving up our morning ritual:
- Dilute lemon juice in 8 oz of water.
- Straw: Drink lemon water with a straw.
- Rinsing: Rinse your mouth right after drinking lemon water.
- Hold off brushing: Avoid brushing teeth for 60 minutes after.
- Best toothbrush: Use soft toothbrush and avoid aggressive brushing.
Variations of Water with Lemon
- Lemon ginger water: Add 1 tsp or more to taste of chopped fresh ginger to a cup with warm lemon water. Steep for about 2 minutes.
- Honey lemon water: Add 1 tbsp honey and stir in warm lemon water until dissolved.
- Lemon cucumber water: Add a few slices of cucumber for a refreshing taste.
- Cayenne and lemon: Add a dash of cayenne.
- Lemon and herb: Add a few sprigs of rosemary and basil.
- Lemon, strawberry and mint: A few frozen strawberries and mint leaves.
- Other citrus plus lemon: Grapefruit, lime and orange slices.
Read more: Healthy Meal Replacement Protein Smoothies
Some are funny and cute but we are all humans. So bare with me.
Making This Lemon with Water in Advance
The recipe for lemon with water listed here is for consumption right away – it must be drank warm! That being said, serving lemon water for a party or drinking the citrus water throughout the day is a refreshing way to stay hydrated. Many of the variations listed above, also taste better when the water has become infused.
Making variations in advance/storing: Juice lemon and add to a pitcher with filtered water. Add variation of choice and let sit in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes. Serve cold. Keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
This article is for information purposes only and is not a medical advice. Please consult your physician.
Read more: How to make turkey tail mushroom tea
More Healthy Recipes
- Cauliflower pizza crust
- Healthy banana bread
- 45 healthy Instant Pot recipes
- Almond flour banana bread
- Healthy banana muffins
More How to Recipes
- How to cut an avocado
- How to cook quinoa
- How to cook dried beans
- How to make cauliflower rice
- How to cut cauliflower
- How to make kombucha tea