Mashed Potatoes and Hard-Boiled Eggs
I would rather spend my Sundays snuggling on my couch with a hot drink in hand, reading a book or watching a movie. I rarely spend my weekends in the kitchen and I am too lazy to make a big home meal! Don’t get me wrong – I adore cooking, but Sunday maybe the only day when I could get some rest and I mean….isn’t that what they are invented for?
So for dinner, if not dining out, I always make this mashed potatoes and hard-boiled egg recipe! It is so simple to make that I can barely call it a recipe. With minimal list of ingredients you will have a satisfying, quick and a budget-friendly meal. If you are anything like me, keep this dish on your Sunday agenda! Or even update your mashed potato recipe and serve it as a side dish – it is sure to grace your holiday buffet!
Olive oil is what makes the dish silky and fluffy, use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for best results.
- 500 g. /1 lb. 2 oz. potatoes, I used Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3 eggs
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of freshly grated white pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil, and some more for drizzling over the dish before serving
- 1 onion, sliced
- Some fresh mint leaves
- Place the potatoes to a medium sauce pan. Add cold water to cover the potatoes and place over high heat; bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Add a drop of vinegar, this will prevent the eggs from cracking and will make it easier to peel, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool down. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to slightly cool down then peel and set in a bowl. Add the eggs and mash well both potatoes and eggs with a potato masher. Add the white pepper, salt and olive oil. Stir well with a wooden spoon to homogenize. Spread the mix onto a plate, drizzle olive oil and garnish with sliced onions and mint leaves. Serve with Arabic bread or pita bread
For a more fancy presentation:
- Put a large ring cake on a plate, use the rounded side of a tablespoon to press down the mashed potato and hard-boiled eggs. Level it up and carefully lift the ring mold. Top with some sliced onions and mint leaves. Repeat as necessary. Drizzle some olive oil on top and serve with Arabic bread. Enjoy!
Read more: Recipe: Steam cooked bagels | Family Cuisine