Transform 2 cans of tomato sauce (plus a few spices) into a delicious, savory spaghetti sauce that’ll fill all the bellies around your table tonight! Pasta sauce has never been easier or more affordable.
Hey, friends! Are you weathering the storms ok? Times are tough right now all around. I think we’re all feeling it on some level. There is currently some food hoarding going on, which has depleted the grocery shelves a bit. Hopefully, though, you have a few cans of tomato sauce sitting in your pantry because that is all you need to create a delicious and filling spaghetti sauce for tonight’s dinner!
I truly hope you are doing well and staying healthy during this uncertain time. If there is ever anything you would like me to cover that relates to food or recipe creation, I’m all ears! This is a great recipe that my family loves and I hope yours does, too.
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SAUCE FROM TOMATO SAUCE
Combine all of the following in a medium saucepan:
- Two 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Pour over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- For a meaty sauce, add 1 pound of ground beef, turkey or sausage. If you go this route, cook the meat in a skillet first and drain grease. Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet and cook as directed.
- Spruce up the sauce by using any or all of the following: red pepper flakes, fresh tomatoes or diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil or dried basil, grated Parmesan, a few minced garlic cloves or fresh chopped onions.
- Add sugar 1 teaspoon at a time for a sweeter sauce.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge. Use within 4-5 days.
OTHER EASY HOMEMADE SAUCES TO MAKE THIS WEEK
If you are looking for other easy sauces to make from scratch, check out this helpful list of 18 homemade sauces you can use now or freeze for later. Inside this roundup, you’ll find savory sauces like pizza sauce and marinara sauce as well as sweet ones such as hot fudge sauce and blueberry, too!
RECIPES TO MAKE USING PASTA SAUCE
Aside from the obvious reason (the amazing FLAVOR!), my favorite thing about pasta sauce is that it is so versatile. Here are a few ideas for ways to enjoy it!
- Pour it over the top of cooked noodles of any kind.
- Use in place of store-bought sauce in your next pan of Baked Spaghetti or Baked Ziti!
- Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Lasagna and Cheesy Manicotti are both sooo good when made with Instant Pot spaghetti sauce!
- Use it as an ingredient to stuff spaghetti squash with!
- Add it to your morning eggs because everything tastes great with eggs.
- Top scrambled eggs with a few spoonfuls!
- Use it as a dip for breadsticks or garlic bread.
THINGS TO MAKE WITH TOMATO SAUCE
- Add them to your next batch of scrambled eggs.
- Replace pasta sauce with it for your next plate of spaghetti.
- Use as an ingredient in your next vat of amazing chili.
- Use it as a salad dressing (seriously, I did this and it ROCKED).
- Stir it into a bowl of comforting mac and cheese.