- Chicken Fried Steak Origins
- Is There a Difference Between Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steak?
- The Perfect Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy
- How To Make The Best Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy
- Get the Full (Printable) Perfect Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy Below
- How Do You Keep Breading on Chicken Fried Steak?
- Country Fried Steak Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does this recipe last?
- Can I freeze the leftover steaks?
- Other Great Dinner Recipes
Perfect Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy… Crispy Oklahoma-style country fried steaks with thick white peppery gravy! A classic diner recipe you have to try at home.
Chicken Fried Steak Origins
Although I’ve lived in North Carolina for the last fifteen years, I grew up in Oklahoma… The land of massive crispy unapologetic Chicken Fried Steak dinners.
Chicken Fried Steak is considered common southern fare. However it is a sacred dish to some that originated in the Texas-Oklahoma region.
Although many people believe it was invented in Texas (Ahem, like Texans) others (Such as Okies) say it was born in an Oklahoma diner along Route 66.
Either way, it is commonly understood that the idea of Chicken Fried Steak was brought to the Texas-Oklahoma prairies by German immigrants in the form of classic Schnitzel.
Is There a Difference Between Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steak?
Yes, there is a small difference between Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steak, but it has nothing to do with the steak itself. And the difference is a little misleading…
Read more: Hmong Style Crispy Fish | Family Cuisine
Country Fried Steak is usually served with brown gravy, made with the meat drippings.
However, Chicken Fried Steaks is served with white gravy made with milk… The kind of gravy that is usually called Country Gravy.
See what I mean about misleading?
The Perfect Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy
So what makes this recipe perfect? In my humble opinion, this is the best chicken fried steaks we’ve ever made because:
- The steak is extra thin
- The crust is extra crispy
- The crust is well seasoned
- And the country gravy is on point!
How To Make The Best Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy
- It’s important to start with tenderized cube steaks, and to stretch them a little to thin them out. (Or you can tenderize them further with a meat tenderizing hammer!) The steak should be no more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Triple dip the steaks to create the perfect coating.
- It’s also important that you bread the steaks, then let the chicken fried steaks rest for a few minutes before going into the frying oil.
- Fry the steaks hot and fast!
- Keep them warm in the oven while you make the gravy, so the crust stays crisp.
- Make sure the skillet is free of burnt flour before making the gravy. You can’t make “white gravy” in a dark greasy skillet.
Get the Full (Printable) Perfect Chicken Fried Steak Recipe with Gravy Below
How Do You Keep Breading on Chicken Fried Steak?
Although country fried steaks can be made with both a liquid batter coating, or with a dried flour-based breading, the triple dip flour-egg-flour method works best for keeping the breading on the cube steaks.
Some cooks believe you can get a crispier crust with batter. However, we’ve found that as long as:
- The steaks are dry before breading
- You shake off the excess liquid and flour
- You let them rest for a few minutes before going in the fry pan
- And the oil is hot
…You will create ultra crispy Chicken Fried Steak every single time.
Country Fried Steak Tips
Don’t forget to keep the finished steaks warm in the oven until you are ready to serve them, so the crust stays crispy.
I love this Chicken Fried Steak recipe, because it reminds me of my childhood.
Serve it with mashed potatoes, fried okra, and black-eyed peas, and corn bread for a true Okie feast!Also check out our AMAZING Steak Fingers with Country Gravy recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this recipe last?
If you keep them in an airtight container you can store these steaks in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Can I freeze the leftover steaks?
Yes you can! Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and then again with foil and store them in a ziplock bag for up to 3 to 4 months. Then reheat in a 350 degree F oven until crispy.
Other Great Dinner Recipes
- Chicken Vesuvio (Italian Baked Chicken and Potatoes)
- One Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Mind-Blowing Nashville Hot Chicken Recipe
- Retro Taco Pizza (Layered Taco Dip)
- Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots with Herbs Recipe
- Pimento Grilled Cheese Recipe with Fried Green Tomatoes
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie (with Biscuit Topping!)
- Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast (Shit on a Shingle)
- Mujadara Lentils and Rice (Lebanese Rice)
- Harvest Salad (Cobb Style) Recipe
Share This Recipe With Friends!