Quick Pickled Cucumbers and Onions are made with optional carrots and radishes and make the perfect addition to salads, sandwiches, and more! These pickled vegetables are the best summer recipe for an easy snack, a cookout or a barbecue.
Homemade Pickled Cucumbers and Onions Recipe
Simple fresh things like pickled cucumbers and onions are what I want to eat when the weather gets warm! This fun recipe comes with a lot of variations so that you can make easy pickled cucumbers with what you have on hand all summer long; it’s so versatile. You can change up the kinds of veggies you add in with the cucumbers and onions, you can change how you chop things (which will make it more like a slaw or pickles), and you can change the herbs that go into them. This is one of those “perfect for summer” recipes because you can use what you have growing in the garden or what is in season at the farmers market and fine tune it all to your preferences. Nothing sad about that!
I have a thing for pickles if you haven’t noticed. My grandma’s refrigerator pickles are one of my all-time favorite cucumber recipes, and I make them all summer long. I’ve also ventured out lately and made spicy homemade pickles and some really simple dilly cucumbers in vinegar (all of these recipes are for fridge pickles that you just eat, not the canning kind of pickle recipe). They are so fun to have on hand and keep in the fridge for anytime a pickle craving hits. And because you don’t have to can or bottle them, they are super easy to make, eat, and keep! Plus they are delicious on all things sandwich, burger, or pulled pork, plus they go great on cheese and snack boards or as a side dish. Once you start making simple homemade pickles, you won’t go back. So fresh and crunchy and delicious!
Tips and Tricks for Making Quick Pickled Cucumbers and Onions:
- Sometimes if I have little new onions in the garden, I’ll use them in place of the red onion in this recipe (slice up the little bulb and all the way up the green stem). So fun to use lots of garden produce at once!
- If you cut the cucumbers into matchsticks and use shredded carrots and radish, it’s a bit like a slaw. Great on sandwiches and thrown in salads. If you slice everything, it’ll eat more like traditional pickles.
- Use one tablespoon of fresh oregano leaves in place of the dried if you have them. You can use just about any fresh or dried herb that you have in this recipe – use what you like! Dill, thyme, and basil are all delicious.
- I love this recipe with slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches. It’s also great on my famous hummus and vegetable sandwiches or as an addition to my favorite hummus snack board. Pickles go with so many things when you think about it!
Other quick pickle recipes that I love:
- How To Pickle Peppers (hot water bath canning)
- Sweet and Spicy Cucumbers and Vinegar
- Quick Dilly Cucumbers in Vinegar
- Quick and Easy Refrigerator Pickled Banana Peppers
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers -Refrigerator Pickles
Quick pickled cucumbers and onions made with optional carrots and radishes make the perfect addition to salads, sandwiches, and more!