Masala pasta recipe – Indian style flavorful & delicious masala pasta that will be your new favorite! This simple & quick pasta is super easy to make & just needs 25 mins. It is kids’ friendly & can be packed even in lunch box or served as an after school snack. It also makes for a quick dinner for your entire family.
This pasta recipe is made in Indian style using spices & herbs used in Indian cooking. But it is made in onion tomato base just like any other pasta. I have shared the basic masala pasta recipe here along with some tips.
Reading: how to make red sauce pasta
You can tweak the recipe easily to suit your taste buds. This recipe is vegan and however you can also make it with butter for added flavor.
Pasta, sandwiches, noodles & burger are much loved by my kids. This masala pasta is one of their favorite & love to serve them with cheese sandwich or roasted eggs.
More Pasta recipesRed sauce pastaWhite sauce pasta egg pastaPasta soupVegetable pastachicken pasta
1. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. When the water begins to boil, add salt and pasta.
2. Cook the pasta al dente on a medium flame. It should be soft yet cooked but not chewy. Refer the package for exact cook time as each brand has a different cook time.
Once done drain the pasta to a colander. You can also save 3 to 4 tbsps pasta cooked water. You can use this towards the end to bring the pasta to consistency.
Making masala for pasta
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. When it begins to sizzle, add garlic. Fry the garlic for a minute or 2.
4. Add onions and fry until they turn golden.
5. Add the chopped vegetable and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add mashed tomatoes along with salt. Fry until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. You can also puree the tomatoes and use. Most times I do puree them as my boys are super fussy with the skin of tomatoes.
7. When raw smell of tomatoes disappear, add kasuri methi, masala powder and red chili powder.
8. Fry for one to 2 minutes till the raw flavor of chilli powder goes away. If using cream add it now.
How to make masala pasta
9. Add cooked pasta.
10. Toss well and add coriander leaves. If it is too dry you can add little oil or pasta cooked water. Mix well and check salt. Add more if needed.
Indian style pasta aka masala pasta is ready to serve.
Tips to make masala pasta
- I have used penne but you can also use spaghetti or macaroni here.
- Carrots, peas & bell peppers are the veggies I often use. Veggies like sweet corn, baby corn, mushrooms & broccoli also go well.
- I have used organic pasta made with durum wheat. Brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or any multigrain pasta also goes well for this recipe.
- If making for toddlers, use macaroni or baby pasta as it is easy to handle.
- To make the pasta creamy you can also add in a few tbsps of heavy cream or coconut cream towards the end.
- Eggs: To use eggs, just move the veggies aside once done. Beat eggs and pour to the pan. Scramble and cook just until done. Then add the pasta. You can also check this egg pasta.
- Chicken: Boil the chicken first and shred. Add it to the pan and saute for 2 to 3 mins with the veggies. I have a different chicken pasta here.