Truly the best Egg Salad Recipe you are going to try with minimal ingredients and so quick to make. Hard-boiled eggs with celery, dill, seasoning, and chives in a creamy dressing make up this classic egg salad.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Egg Salad Recipe
This is the easiest egg salad and the perfect way to use up leftover Easter eggs. You’ll love the short list of ingredients but it’s all you need to make one amazing salad: hard-boiled eggs, herbs, celery, and crisp onion in the creamiest dressing.
This can be served in so many different ways – as a side salad, on toast, etc (see more ideas below). This traditional salad is simple, satisfying and a perfect additon to your Easter menu.
Ingredients for Egg Salad
Though this is a simple recipe and uses basic ingredients, it tastes amazing. If you want to dress it up and make it fancier, try these add-ins:
- Protein- such as crispy bacon, chicken or shrimp.
- Veggies- tomatoes, cucumbers or carrots are great options. We also love dill pickle egg salad.
- Avocado- can either be cubed and added to the salad or blended with the dressing to replace some of the mayo.
Pro Tip: If you will be adding other ingredients to the salad, prepare a larger portion of the dressing.
How to Make Egg Salad
Homemade egg salad doesn’t get any easier than this. Just be sure your eggs have cooled completely before preparing the salad or make them ahead and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil eggs and cool then cut into desired pieces (we like ours chunky for better texture)
- Finely chop the celery and red onion (sweet onion may be substituted for red onion)
- Chop the chives (or green onions) and fresh dill
- Prepare homemade dressing – stir the ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix salad well to combine and coat in the dressing
How to Cook Eggs for Egg Salad?
No matter if you boil your eggs on the stove or in the instant pot, be sure they are hard-boiled, but not overcooked. Overcooked eggs end up with a green ring around the yolk. Follow these tutorials for perfect hard-boiled eggs every time:
- Perfect Boiled Eggs – follow this stove-top method and boil for at least 7 minutes. Fully cooked yolks are best for salad.
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs – works especially well for farm-fresh eggs, making them easier to peel.
The Best Dressing for Egg Salad
The dressing in any salad can really make or break a recipe. This awesome creamy dressing adds so much flavor to the simple salad. Eggs never tasted so good!
- In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix until the dressing is creamy and ingredients are well incorporated.
Are Eggs Good for You?
Eggs are are an inexpensive, healthy, high-quality protein. We love recipes where eggs are the star ingredient like these incredible Deviled Eggs with Bacon and Egg Muffins.
Eggs are nutrient-dense, have zero carbs, no sugar, and will keep you feeling good throughout the day. Egg yolks are rich in choline which is important for brain and liver health. Eggs also contain lutein which benefits eye health.
How to Serve Egg Salad
Though the salad may be enjoyed as a side dish, it is rather versatile. Enjoy these other variations:
- Egg Salad Sandwich – Serve the egg salad as a sandwich between bread slices, in a croissant, as an open-faced sandwich, or even stuffed in a wrap or pita.
- Stuffed Avocado – stuff the salad into a halved avocados and serve.
- Lettuce wrap – Add to lettuce cups or Romaine and enjoy as lettuce wraps.
- Breakfast sandwich – Load salad onto toast for an easy breakfast sandwich.
How to Store Egg Salad?
Leftover egg salad should be stored covered in the refrigerator and can last 3-5 days. It should not be left at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
Pro Tip: If you refrigerate the salad, be sure to taste it before serving. Refrigerating tends to make the flavors more subtle as they meld together, so add some salt and seasoning to taste.
More Recipe with Boiled Eggs
- Easter Egg Chicks – the cutest Easter appetizer
- Cobb Salad – everything about this is good
- Creamy Potato Salad- you’ll love the dressing
- Avocado Chicken Salad – our #1 Salad (for good reason!)
- Tuna Sandwich – topped with eggs and avocado
- Macaroni Salad – creamy and so good
I can’t wait for you to try this easy Egg Salad Recipe. Once you try it, you are going to make it over and over again!
*Egg nutrition information sourced from The Incredible Egg.