3-Ingredient Queso Cheese Dip is the easiest recipe for a cheese dip! It has a rich and creamy texture, a satisfying cheese flavor, and it’s made with real ingredients, no artificial cheese here!
I’ve partnered with Argo® Corn Starch to create this simple Cheese Dip recipe.
Homemade Cheese Dip
This is a perfect game day recipe that will disappear in no time! Aren’t we all looking for the cheese dip at a party??
When I get together with family on game day, someone usually brings along a jar of nacho cheese sauce. It may taste good, but I’d prefer to eat ingredients I can pronounce.
It’s still a splurge (this is cheese dip, after all. It’s main ingredient is cheese), but now we can make it from scratch and know exactly what went into it!
Read more: How to reheat Alfredo sauce | Family Cuisine
Next time around, I’d like to experiment with this and add a 10 oz. can of tomatoes with green chilies (well drained) and a little chili powder for added flair. Or maybe even some leftover homemade strained chili.
Queso Cheese Dip Ingredients
The three ingredients I used to make this simple cheese dip are:
- plenty of real cheddar cheese
- half and half for richness
- corn starch to thicken
Can’t beat that, 3 ingredients that you likely already have on hand!
I used Argo® Corn Starch because it’s a brand I trust and can always rely on for a consistent result to thicken my soups, sauces, stir-fries, gravies and so forth.
I like to use it here because it skips a step in making a roux with butter and flour and that also equates to little less cooking time too.
How to Make Cheese Dip
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together half and half and cornstarch until smooth.
- Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 30 seconds, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in cheese and return to low heat and stir to fully melt cheese. Serve warm with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Note that the sauce will not reheat well so scale as needed.
Can I Make This With Another Type of Cheese?
Yes, this recipe should work with any cheese you can buy in a block at the store. You’ll want to use a softer cheese like Swiss or cheddar since those melt more easily.
Can I Use Pre-Shredded Cheese for This Dip?
No, you should buy a block of cheese and shred the cheese yourself. Bags of shredded cheese have cornstarch in them to prevent the cheese from sticking together, which will mess up the creamy texture of this homemade cheese dip.
What to Serve With Cheese Dip
Nothing beats enjoying classic tortilla chips with this dip. Pretzels would also taste great with this, as would sliced apples. Since this dip is flavored only with cheddar cheese, it’s incredibly versatile.
Tips for the Best Cheese Dip
- The cheese dip will be a little runny at first, but will nicely thicken as it cools. With that said, this dip is best enjoyed right after making.
- You can always scale down the ingredients for a smaller party or make a double batch for a bigger game day get-together.
- Buy the best quality cheddar cheese you can for the best flavor.
Read more: how to make eel sauce sushi | Family Cuisine
More Dip Recipes You’ll Love:
- 7 Layer Dip
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip
- Chocolate Fruit Dip
- Salsa Verde (Green Salsa)