I’ve gone super “Americana” on us with this recipe. There’s hardly a more classic American meal then good ol’ sloppy joes! I don’t know a kid that would ever turn these down for dinner.
And just when you may want to roll your eyes at a dish as simple as this, I’m here to tell ya, this sloppy joes recipe is GREAT! It can’t even be compared to the horrible stuff you buy in the can.
What I love about this recipe:
- The homemade sauce. It has the perfect sauce/beef ratio that is packed with flavor.
- Adaptable: There are so many ways to vary this recipe (see below) by adding veggies, switching the meat, etc.
- Kid friendly: My kids love this recipe (even when I add veggies) and it makes for a relaxing fun family dinner. Check out all my kid friendly recipes!
How to make sloppy Joes:
1. Brown the beef. Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender and translucent.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and allow everything to simmer together for 30 minutes. (The simmering time is a crucial part of the recipe because it allows the flavors to meld together).
3. Serve. After letting the sloppy joe mixture simmer, serve it warm on a toasted hamburger bun!
Serve sloppy Joes with:
- Mac and cheese
- Potato salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Baked potato wedges
- Steamed Corn
- Potato chips
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
Read more: how to make red chili sauce | Family Cuisine
To make ahead: Make the sloppy joe mixture up to 2 days ahead of time (depending on freshness of beef). Store in the refrigerator and reheat when ready to eat.
To freeze: Allow the mixture to cool completely and store it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove.
- Add Veggies: chopped bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, or shredded carrot, can easily be added to this recipe and your kids won’t even notice a difference :-).
- Hawaiian sloppy Joes: substitute more BBQ sauce for the ketchup and add 8 oz., drained crushed pineapple .
- Asian sloppy Joes: add 1 tablespoon ground ginger and substitute 1 tablespoons hoisin sauce for the Worcestershire sauce. Also add mix in thinly sliced cucumber slices or shredded carrot.
- For healthier sloppy Joes: Substituting ground turkey in place of ground beef and add chopped veggies. You can also cut down on carbs by serving sloppy joes open face, with a piece of cheese placed on top, and broiled in the oven for 2 minutes. YUM!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.