This easy Chinese Beef Stir Fry is loaded with tender beef slices and the most delicious stir-fry sauce made with soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and beef broth! A quick marinade tenderizes the beef and you will wow your family with its amazing flavor! You can add favorite vegetables like broccoli for a quick restaurant-quality beef and broccoli stir fry.
Chinese Beef Stir Fry
If you are looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, this beef stir fry is the way to go! You’ll get protein, veggies, all in one skillet. Beef stir fry is a popular Chinese restaurant dish that’s always on the take-out menu. What makes the beef so tender is the stir-fry technique that I’m going to share with you in this post. So now you can make a healthy version at home within 20 minutes. Can you say winning?
I’m a huge fan of stir-fry dinners as they’re so quick for the busy weeknights. Meals like Teriyaki Chicken Bowls, Sriracha Shrimp, and this beef steak stir fry are what get me through the week!
This beef stir fry is about as easy as it gets. It starts with marinating the thinly sliced beef. Then you can quickly stir fry the meat with a delicious stir fry sauce. Serve with rice or noodles for a perfect dinner.
What is the Best Beef for Stir Fry?
Flank steak, skirt steak, and iron flat steak are some ideal cuts for stir-frying, as they’re budget-friendly and rich with lots of marbling. These beef steak slices become tender and juicy after a quick marinade and high temperature stir-frying.
Central cuts such as tenderloin and rib eye steak are great too, but they are much more expensive and best to save for steak dinners. You should definitely AVOID tough stewing meat such as chuck, rump, round or blade.
- Prepare the beef by trimming silver skin or tough connective tissue.
- Cut across the grain for the most tender meat into 1/4-inch thick slices.
How to Make Beef Tender: the Best Beef Stir Fry Marinade
Marinating beef slices (also called velveting) before stir-frying is the secret to the perfect tender and juicy meat. A simple mixture of soy sauce and cornstarch tenderizes the beef as well as adding great depth of flavor. Cornstarch is KEY to get your marinade binding to the beef. This marinade is great for chicken stir fry too!
Over 30 minutes is ideal but if you are in a rush, even a 10-minute marinating makes a huge difference. Marinate your beef in the refrigerator if you are not cooking within an hour. No dried-out beef anymore!
Why You’ll Love this Beef Stir Fry Sauce
This stir fry sauce is mouth-watering delicious, made with simple pantry ingredients. With the perfect balance between sweet, savory, and garlicky flavors, it’s so addictive.
How to Make Beef Stir Fry
It’s important to get all the ingredients ready before stir-frying. The cooking time is very short and you’ll need to move quickly:
- Slice the beef into thin and long strips.
- Make marinade sauce by mixing together soy sauce and cornstarch.
- Add beef to the sauce. Let marinate.
- Stir fry minced garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add marinated beef slices and stir fry. (Make sure not to overcrowd the pan so that your beef can brown properly.)
- Add brown sugar, beef broth and green onions.
- Stir fry until beef is cooked through. Remove beef to a plate.
- Stir fry vegetables of your choice, and add back the cooked beef and mix.
Beef Stir Fry with Broccoli and Noodles
You can serve beef stir fry with broccoli, noodles or rice. Drizzle the extra stir fry sauce over everything for the ultimate flavor!
You can also make a Lo Mein style dish by mixing noodles with the beef and vegetables.
Beef Stir Fry Variations
This is a very versatile recipe. Add some chili flakes and make it into spicy beef stir fry, or swap the beef stir fry sauce for teriyaki sauce to make it into teriyaki beef stir fry! I sometimes use sesame sauce for a delicious sesame beef stir fry. You can also use ground beef instead of beef strips.
If you’d like to add veggies to your beef stir fry. Remove the cooked beef to a plate first. Then add a tablespoon oil, and cook your favorite veggies. Some great choices include broccoli, carrots, cabbage, mushroom and green onions. After the vegetables are cooked through, add back the cooked beef and mix well.
Is Chinese Beef Stir Fry Healthy?
Chinese stir fry is a relatively healthy cooking method as it results in tender meat and veggies that retain more nutrients than boiling or deep fried method. You can reduce the amount of oil and sugar for an even more healthy option.
Tips for Making Stir Fried Beef Tender
- It’s best to cut your beef into thin slices (2-inch long and 1/4- inch thick) against the grain. A trick I learned from a friend who works at a Chinese restaurant is to freeze the steak for about 30-45 minutes, and then it’s so easy to cut it into thin strips!
- Marinating is key to avoid tough and chewy beef!
- Stir-fry at high temperature.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook several batches if needed.
More Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
Read more: how to make stir fry spicy | Family Cuisine
- Mongolian BBQ
- Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs