Skip the restaurant and make this classic Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe at home! It’s quick, easy, and absolutely loaded with the best Asian flavors. Great weeknight dinner for the entire family.
There’s just nothing like a good stir fry. Some others in regular rotation at my house include Pepper Steak, Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Beef and Broccoli Ramen. We never get tired of any of these!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is one of my favorite Asian take-out recipes, so naturally I needed a version I can make at home anytime my heart desires. This dish tastes just like what you’d order at your favorite Chinese restaurant and leftovers the next day are just as good (if you’re lucky enough to have any!)
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- Chicken: We use boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they lend more flavor, but chicken breast is delicious, too.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, sweet onion, and peppery scallions are a simple, perfect trio. You could also add in some mushrooms, if desired.
- Ginger and Garlic: I can’t imagine a stir fry without these aromatics. Fresh is best!
- Soy Sauce: We love Chinese dark soy sauce, but the sodium levels are just too high. Sad face! So, we opt for low-sodium. For gluten-free, use Tamari sauce.
- Shaoxing wine: This is a secret weapon in Asian cooking and I always have it in my cupboard. Mirin or dry sherry are great substitutes. If you can’t consume alcohol, use low-sodium chicken broth in place of the cooking wine in the marinade and also in place of the water.
- Sesame oil: This is what gives the sauce authentic Chinese stir fry flavor.
- Brown Sugar: To balance out the savory soy sauce and tangy wine, with a hint of sweetness. It makes a big difference, don’t skip it.
- Chili garlic sauce: A staple in my pantry! I put this in most of my stir fry recipes. It’s hot and tangy, with a punch of garlic.
- Kosher salt: A must in all cooking. Make sure you are using Kosher salt, which is coarse, and not table salt.
- Vegetable oil: Used to sauté the vegetables.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the sauce and make it glossy. Also a great flour alternative if you need this dish to be gluten-free.
- Water: Used to partially steam the vegetables and also mixed with the cornstarch to create a slurry. Low-sodium chicken broth can be used for more flavor.
- Cooked white rice: For serving. Optional, but I can’t imagine enjoying stir fry without it!
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
Like most stir fry recipes, this comes together fast, so make sure you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go like an assembly line!*Scroll below for the complete printable recipe card.
- Marinate the chicken: The chicken gets marinated with some of the liquids and aromatics while the veggies cook. You won’t believe the added flavor it provides just by soaking for 5 minutes.
- Sauté the vegetables: The vegetables cook in a nonstick skillet for a few minutes until the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender, then transferred to a bowl.
- Cook the chicken: In the same skillet, cook the chicken until brown and cooked through, stirring continuously.
- Assemble the stir-fry: Add in the brown sugar along with the cooked vegetables.
- Thicken the sauce: Mix cornstarch and water to create a slurry, then stir it into the skillet, bring to a boil to thicken.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove from heat and toss in the diced scallions. Serve over cooked white rice and gobble it up!
How to Store Chicken Stir Fry
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. This can be frozen, but I don’t really recommend it. Once thawed, the vegetables in chicken stir fry become mushy and not the most appetizing.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Video
What Do You Eat with Chicken Stir Fry?
This chicken stir fry is perfect served over plain cooked white rice, so it can absorb the wonderful pan sauce! It also pairs well with my favorite roasted snap peas. But this really is a complete meal.
Other Stir Fry Recipes We Love!
- Cashew Chicken
- Beef Stir Fry
- Thai Shrimp Curry
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!