A from-scratch Strawberry Cake Recipe! It is a moist, flavorful, strawberry flavored cake flavored with actual strawberries, stuffed with a recent strawberry jam, and lined with a whipped cream cheese frosting. There are just a few steps concerned however I’ll stroll you thru them and embody a how-to video!
At the moment one of many oldest recipes on my weblog will get an entire and whole makeover. I first shared a strawberry cake on the weblog over six years in the past, and I used to be fully smitten with it.
Nonetheless, through the years, it didn’t dwell as much as my requirements. The recent strawberries, whereas flavorful, weighed down the cake, and whereas they made it moist they nearly made it too moist. It simply wasn’t working anymore, and I buried it behind different favorites like my carrot cake and tres leches cake. At one level, I finally took the recipe off of the weblog completely, forsaking a disclaimer that I used to be now not proud of the recipe and would ultimately do an entire overhaul.
Nicely right here we’re. At the moment I’ve a recent strawberry cake recipe that I’m pleased with. It’s flavored with actual berries, stuffed with a recent jam, and coated with a whipped cream cheese frosting that’s mild and ethereal and never too candy. I believe you’re going to like this one.
Read more: how to make cake decorations with fondant
Journey to the Greatest Strawberry Cake
So, how does this cake obtain its taste (with no Jello or synthetic flavors!) with out being weighed down by the berries?
I’ll be sincere, it wasn’t simple and took lots of makes an attempt to work out.
It turned out that the pulp from the strawberries was weighing down the cake, making it overly moist (moist and spongey, in a really dangerous manner). So, step one was to extract the flavour and go away the pulp behind. To do that I separated the pulp from the juice by pureeing the berries in a meals processor and straining the juice by way of a tremendous mesh sieve (first picture, above). I didn’t need to waste any of the berries, although, so we’ll dangle on to these to make our strawberry jam filling.
The strawberry juice contained lots of water, which may truly dry out the cake and diluted the strawberry taste. To pay attention the flavour, I cooked the berry juice in a saucepan till a lot of the water was evaporated and the remaining juice was extra of a concentrated paste. This was blended with milk (which creates a a lot moister, softer cake than utilizing the water would have) after which as a result of strawberries aren’t an excellent pure dye I added meals coloring to brighten the pinkness of the cake. That is fully non-obligatory, however it makes for a fairly cake.
Read more: How to make korean fish cake
As a result of egg yolks might crush the cake right here, I took a web page out of my extremely moist and fluffy white cake recipe and whipped the egg whites to stiff peaks individually earlier than folding them into the cake batter (pictures above).
Bear in mind the strawberry pulp we reserved from earlier? We’ll use this to make a berry jam to go within the heart of our cake to reinforce the strawberry taste. Use your frosting to make a dam across the exterior of the cake and fill the middle together with your jam.
- Nearly all your taste for this cake comes from the strawberries. Due to this, the extra ripe, juicy, and flavorful your strawberries are, the higher and extra strawberry-like your cake will style. Retailer-bought berries in the course of December will work, however they won’t yield as tasty of a cake as finger-staining, sun-ripened berries you picked your self. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP I CAN GIVE YOU.
- Contemporary or frozen berries will work with this recipe, however keep in mind my tip above.
- If utilizing meals coloring, I strongly suggest utilizing gel coloring. I used Americolor deep pink. If you happen to use liquid meals coloring you’ll need to make use of purple, and fairly a little bit of it.
- This recipe has lots of steps. The jam and frosting can each be made a day prematurely and saved within the fridge in an hermetic container. The cake may very well be made a day prematurely as properly; enable to chill fully then wrap tightly with plastic wrap and retailer at room temperature. Don’t retailer the cake within the fridge as that may dry it out.
- Be sure your cake is cooled fully earlier than adorning, in any other case the frosting will soften.
- Searching for a unique frosting possibility? Strive my commonplace cream cheese frosting, buttercream frosting, or Swiss meringue buttercream!
Get pleasure from!
Extra Recipes You Might Like:
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Strawberry Muffins
Are you extra of a visible learner? Take a look at my YouTube channel the place I present you precisely how I make this cake step-by-step in my very own kitchen.
Recipe initially revealed 06/12/2014. Pictures, textual content, and recipe have all been drastically up to date/improved and a video shall be added.
Read more: easy recipes for kids to make chocolate cake