This chicken tetrazzini is comforting and supremely creamy; a cheesy pasta bake loaded with juicy chicken and plump mushrooms. It’s based on one of the MOST POPULAR recipes on my blog.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
When you bake this pasta casserole, some of the sauce bakes into the pasta, the flavors marry and [!!BAM!!] something wonderful happens. You’ll know what I mean when you try it. Ridiculously good, easy to prepare, kid friendly, reheats well and freezer safe. P.S. you can further simplify this by using rotisserie chicken – You’re welcome ‘ma friends :).
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
This recipe can be done entirely using a dutch oven so it can go from the stove to the oven saving you some dishes. You can also bake it in a 13×9″ casserole dish, but whichever path you choose, the result will be a cheesy, creamy chicken pasta bake that will have your family refilling their bowls.
P.S. We have included Amazon Affiliate links to our favorite tools to make this recipe.
Ingredients for Chicken Tetrazzini:
- We used thin spaghetti, but you can substitute with any kind of noodles you have on hand such as linguine or fettuccini pasta for your chicken tetrazzini casserole.
- SHORTCUT: (what you will see in the video), you can use a rotisserie chicken and cut away enough chicken meat to get 4 cups of shredded chicken. Light or dark meat will work.
- This recipe calls for low sodium chicken broth. Regular chicken broth is ok, but go easy on the salt and add more to taste when making the sauce.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini (Watch the Video below):
1. Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions then rinse to stop the cooking process, drain and set aside.
2. Shred 4 cups of rotisserie Chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
OR: If cooking your own chicken, In a large dutch oven pot, melt 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Once oil is hot, saute chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through (about 4 min per side). Remove to a cutting board to cool then dice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
3. In your large dutch oven pot, add 2 Tbsp oil then sliced mushrooms and sauté 3 min or until soft. Add diced onions and cook until onions are soft (5-7 min). Add minced garlic and sauté another 1-2 min. Transfer to a separate dish.
4. In the same pot, melt 4 Tbsp butter and add 1/3 cup flour whisking until lightly golden (1 1/2 min). Add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and whisk until smooth. Add 1 1/2 cups half and half and bring to a simmer then season sauce to taste.
5. Return chicken, mushrooms and pasta to the pot then season to taste with salt and pepper, sprinkle in 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and stir to combine. Sprinkle the top generously with shredded mozzarella, cover and bake at 350˚F for 30 min then remove lid and continue baking 15 min. (See notes below for 13×9 casserole dish baking tips).
Watch Natasha Make this Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole:
If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing! We love spending time with you on our Youtube Channel.
Serve right away to the line that has formed behind you :). I can’t help but pair this with crunchy baby dill pickles (mildly obsessed pickle fan over here). I hope your family LOVES this!