Here are the hottest how to make tuna casserole without cream of mushroom soup topics edited and compiled by familycuisine.net
This straightforward traditional tuna noodle casserole from scratch has ZERO processed elements! It’s made more healthy through the use of no canned soups, entire wheat pasta, and much less fats than different quaint tuna casseroles. Plus, you can also make it ahead- it’s freezable!
Mates, let’s be sincere. There’s NOTHING like a casserole on chilly evenings.
It’s consolation meals at its most interesting. On a chilly, dreary winter day, your temper will be immediately elevated by the magical therapeutic properties of a casserole.
And this tuna casserole is the last word wealthy, creamy concoction that you simply want, with out being heavy or unhealthy. It’s such a good way to get pleasure from guilt-free creamy consolation meals!
Bonus: your youngsters will LOVE it.
What makes this tuna casserole wholesome?
Most tuna casserole recipes name for processed elements and many fats. I made a couple of modifications so this recipe is more healthy than others WITHOUT sacrificing style or the scrumptious creamy texture.
- It’s decrease in fats: I used much less butter than different recipes, and changed half the milk with rooster inventory. You can even use veggie inventory. I additionally solely used 1 cup of shredded cheese on prime.
- It’s made with entire grains: I used entire wheat pasta as an alternative of conventional egg noodles. You should use any form you want- I selected fusilli, however rotini, penne, or entire grain egg noodles would work.
- It has NO processed elements or canned soups. Many related recipes require canned cream of mushroom soup, which is commonly excessive in fats and salt. As a substitute, I used wholesome, recent mushrooms (and a variety of them!), and a thick creamy base produced from scratch to regulate how a lot sodium is in it.
make tuna casserole from scratch
- First, cook dinner the greens. Sauté some onions, celery, and garlic in butter. Then, add mushrooms.
- Cook dinner the pasta when you’re making the filling. When it’s carried out, drain it.
- As soon as the veggies are carried out, add some all-purpose flour to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook dinner it for a minute or so till the uncooked flour style cooks out. Should you desire, you should utilize entire wheat flour for this.
- Pour in some milk and rooster broth to the skillet. Stir, and proceed heating to kind a thick sauce.
- Add tuna and the cooked pasta and stir to coat.
- Switch the combination to a buttered baking dish and prime with buttered breadcrumbs and cheese.
Suggestions and methods
- When sautéing the mushrooms, attempt to not stir them an excessive amount of. This may permit the liquid to be drawn out and evaporate, leading to concentrated mushroom taste. Right here’s extra on easy methods to completely sauté mushrooms.
- Use albacore tuna packed in water. It’s probably the most “meaty” of the canned tunas, so it can maintain its personal when combined with all the opposite elements.
- Flake the tuna aside with a fork proper within the can. This may assist break it up and also you received’t must get one other bowl soiled!
Can I freeze tuna casserole or make it forward?
If you wish to make the casserole a couple of days prematurely, you possibly can retailer it unbaked in your fridge for as much as 5 days. Simply assemble it, and canopy it tightly with foil. You’ll must bake it for a bit longer since it is going to be chilly to start out, so I like to recommend 20 minutes lined, and 15-20 minutes uncovered,.
You can even assemble and freeze this traditional tuna casserole for as much as 3 months. Once more, cowl it tightly. I do advocate defrosting it fully in your fridge earlier than baking it, for 24-48 hours. Then, bake 20 minutes lined, 15-20 minutes uncovered.
This can be a nice alternative to make two and freeze one for later!
Can I make it gluten-free?
I haven’t tried it personally, however sure you possibly can. Simply substitute the pasta and breadcrumbs with a gluten-free model. Chickpea pasta could be nice on this, and gluten-free breadcrumbs are fairly straightforward to search out in any grocery retailer.
You additionally want to make use of a gluten-free thickener, reminiscent of cornstarch or arrowroot powder, instead of the all-purpose flour.
Can I make it with recent tuna?
Whereas I desire to sear recent tuna steaks rapidly to medium-rare doneness, you possibly can theoretically use recent tuna as an alternative of canned for this recipe.
You could possibly bake it seasoned with salt and pepper, and flake it aside with a fork. Or you possibly can poach it in salted water (like this poached salmon recipe), then flake it aside.
Different straightforward recipes with canned tuna
- Tex Mex Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Tex Mex Tuna Melts
- Paleo Tuna Croquettes
Different comforting casserole recipes
- Rooster and Corn Enchilada Casserole
- Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole
- Paleo Sluggish Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Make sure to take a look at all my different fish and seafood recipes!
This put up first appeared on Bowl of Scrumptious in December 2014. It has been up to date with an improved recipe, extra info within the physique of the put up, and new photographs.