Coconut Fried Rice – Rice cooked in broth and coconut milk with lots of vegetables and protein. The end product is an enticing combination of textures, colors, and flavors. It smells heavenly and tastes even better!
Reading: how to prepare coconut fried rice
Coconut Fried Rice
This is not your average oil-laden fried rice—the only oil involved in this recipe is the coconut oil, which is a healthier oil, and you just need a very little quantity as well. This coconut fried rice is sure to please. Despite many ingredients, this recipe is so quick to put together.
Here is a dish related to the classic Afro-Asian fried rice. But there is a twist: this recipe is cooked with coconut milk, this coconut milk adds a perfect note of sweet, floral, and nutty flavor.
There are many variations of this Coconut Fried Rice, which makes this recipe all the more special. In fact, I have a delicious coconut rice recipe on this blog that is cooked with broth and coconut milk but not fried. I do enjoy both recipes depending on what my craving calls for.
The main ingredients for this fried rice are:
- Rice – I used Basmati rice for this recipe because it cooks faster, and it’s easy to work with. You can choose to use any rice that suits your taste, but be sure to check for the cooking time as cooking time for different types of rice varies.
- Coconut milk – For a deeper coconut flavor, use the can coconut milk. For a milder coconut flavor, use the freshly squeezed coconut milk or the ones in the fridge section in the grocery.
- Broth – Mild broth like Chicken broth or vegetable broth works well in this recipe. Avoid using beef broth, which can overpower the flavor of the meal.
- Vegetables – I used bell peppers, sweet corn, peas, and carrots. You c add more or less.
- Protein – My protein of choice today is beef liver. Feel free to use chicken, shrimps, bacon, or sausage.
- Flavoring and Spices – Don’t skip the salt and curry powder
How To Make Coconut Fried Rice
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Toast the rice in a pan until nutty.
- Place the rice in a pan with coconut milk and broth over high heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cover the pot tightly with the lid—Cook for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Fry the rice together with the vegetables and protein in a bit of coconut oil.
- Serve hot.
What is Coconut Fried Rice?
This is a delicious dish of rice cooked in broth and coconut milk and fried in coconut oil. Here, I have added vegetables and protein to make it a full meal.
This is a different way of preparing fried rice compared to the traditional Asian styles. It is more related to the fried rice recipe I shared sometimes ago – which is, by the way, one of the top recipes on this site. However, this version goes a bit further because it uses coconut milk, coconut oil, and lots of veggies, which gives the dish a unique flavor and texture.
Does Coconut Fried Rice keep in the fridge?
Coconut fried rice will keep for a few days. The flavor is great for leftovers, but the texture of the rice will always be best after being freshly cooked!
- Frying the uncooked rice is optional. However, I like to do that because it gives the fried rice a hint of a nutty taste. Trust me, you will be happy with your outcome if you choose not to skip the step.
- For my protein, I used liver; feel free to use chicken, bacon, shrimps, or sausage but you can also choose to make it vegetarian—substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock and remove other meats. Tofu is also a good addition.
- In my opinion, fresh or frozen vegetables give the best result. I try to stay away from canned vegetables when working with fried rice in general.
- A little heat is great, so it’s good to add some pepper. I used habanero peppers because of it’s fragrant taste but you can use jalapeno, red chili flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- Be sure not to overcook the rice otherwise, the fried rice will end up becoming soggy and is not good at all.
[su_box title=”Other delicious rice recipes you might want to try:” box_color=”#273B56″]
- Easy shrimp pineapple fried rice – Ready in about 30 minutes
- Jollof rice – West Africans favorite rice recipe
- Nigerian fried rice – Readers favorite
- One-pot chicken and Rice – Another one you need to try
- Chicken fried rice – So easy and delicious!
- Hearty mushroom rice – Not your average mushroom Rice
- East African Pilau – You will love this!
- Baked Seafood Jambalaya – a twist on the tradition Jambalaya
Other coconut recipes you might want to try
- Toasted Coconut Flakes
- Mango Coconut Icecream
- West African Coconut Rice
If you make this Coconut Fried Rice, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen
You can find me on Facebook, and Instagram … I love keeping in touch with all of you 🙂