Sometimes you just want a hot dog so bad that no cooking method except for the fastest will suffice. In that case, your best bet is a microwave oven, which will heat your weiner in 40 to 50 seconds.
But, there’s more to microwaving a hot dog than just throwing a frank into the cooking chamber. Let’s dig into microwaving hot dogs before we dig into eating microwaved hot dogs.
How do I microwave a hot dog?
- Step 1: Remove your hot dog or hot dogs from their plastic packaging.
- Step 2: Wrap your hot dog in a paper towel, and either place them on a microwave-safe plate or directly into the microwave. The paper towel will collect the hot dog’s moisture as the hot dog cooks, which will keep the dog juicy. If you’re cooking more than one frank, just lay them side by side and cover them with a paper towel. Leave some room between the franks, so they cook evenly.
- Step 3: Cook hot dogs on high for 40 to 50 seconds for a single weiner. Add about 20 seconds for each extra dog. Once the time is up, make sure they’re the temperature you want them to be. Cooking times may vary because microwaves vary in their cooking power, so you can pause halfway through cooking your dogs to see if they’re coming out the way you want them to. Most hot dogs are pre-cooked, so when you cook them, you’re reheating them. That means that a hot dog is done when it’s cooked just how you like it!
- Step 4: When removing your frank, be careful not to be burned by escaping steam!
Should I poke holes into my hot dog so steam can escape or to make sure the hot dog is done?
No, there’s no need to pierce the skin of your dog. Doing so will allow some of its juices to escape, which can make it less juicy.
Is it okay to microwave hot dog buns?
Yes, microwave the bun separately for 10 to 15 seconds. Or, if your microwave is in a kitchen that has a stovetop, consider toasting the buns on a pan after buttering the buns.
Can I microwave my bun with the hot dog in it?
You can, but you risk making the buns soggy due to the moisture released by the hot dog as it plumps.
Is it okay to eat an uncooked hot dog?
No, even though most hot dogs are pre-cooked, you still risk getting the Listeria monocyte gene, which is a bacteria that can make you very sick.
- Muscle ache
You can develop other symptoms if the infection spreads into your nervous system.
- Stiff neck
- Loss of balance
Microwaving, grilling, boiling, and any other form of cooking kills the bacteria.
How long can I leave out a cooked hot dog?
Don’t leave cooked hot dogs out for more than two hours if their temperature will fall between 40°F and 140°F. The USDA calls that range the “Danger Zone” because that’s when bacteria can quickly grow and make food unsafe.
How can I tell if a hot dog has gone bad?
- If the hot dog is super slimy.
- If it smells even faintly of vinegar, ammonia, or yeast.
- If there’s mold or any growth on it.
Is it okay to reheat leftover hot dogs?
Yes, since most hot dogs are already cooked, you’re reheating them the first time you cook them!
Will a hot dog explode in the microwave?
Not if you cook them for the appropriate amount of time.
Remember, your hot dog comes pre-cooked, so what you’re doing to your hot dog when you “cook” it is raising its internal temperature and making it plumper and juicier as a result.
Is it okay to microwave a frozen hot dog?
Yes, you’ll just likely have to double the amount of time it takes to cook the dog. Check on your frank’s progress throughout to make sure it’s reaching your desired temperature.
You can also thaw hot dogs in the refrigerator or by placing them in a bowl of cool water on the counter (replace the water every 30 minutes).
Can you microwave aluminum foil?
Because microwaves cook things quickly and aluminum foil is thin, the foil can heat up so fast that the foil can catch on fire. You also don’t need to use aluminum foil to microwave a hot dog.
Is it okay to freeze or refrigerate a microwaved hot dog?
Yes, after opening a package of hot dogs, it can be kept in the refrigerator for a week at 40 °F/4.4 °C or less.
You can also freeze a hot dog after it’s been cooked for one to two months for the best quality. Technically, a frozen hot dog that’s kept at 0°F will remain edible indefinitely, but it may degrade in quality.
Are there any unique ways to cook a hot dog in a microwave?
Some hot dog recipes lend themselves to the microwave.
The Cheese Dog
Cut your hot dog down the middle and place the cheese of your choice into the slit. Once cooked, place the cheese-filled frank into the bun.
Franks and Beans
Cut your hot dog into pieces and heat them along with baked beans. You may consider browning the dogs in a pan first. Franks and beans are such a popular combination that you can buy them already mixed in the same can!
Salchipapas is a popular Latin American dish that began in Peru but soon expanded to other countries. It’s typically served in the form of sliced pan-fried hot dogs and french fries. Although, if you don’t have time to pan-fry your dogs, you can always pop them in the microwave.
Now that you know the fastest way to cook a dog, consider other options and recipes to satiate your hot dog cravings! Like the Detroit Coney Dog or the Cowboy Hot Dog.
More from Articles
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Best way to microwave a hot dog