Learn to refinish a desk with out sanding or stripping. It’s so straightforward and the outcomes are beautiful. It will prevent cash in the long term too!
This publish is sponsored by Mohawk. All opinions are 100% my very own primarily based on my expertise utilizing these AMAZING merchandise. This publish comprises some affiliate hyperlinks to your comfort. Click on right here to learn my full disclosure coverage.
Methods to Refinish a Desk (With out Sanding or Stripping)
Hiya associates! Oh boy, I’m EXCITED about sharing this undertaking with you! I’m about to show you the way to refinish a desk with out sanding or stripping. You are welcome 🙂
We bought our eating room desk off of Craig’s Checklist virtually 5 years in the past. It is a top quality, Pottery Barn desk. We scored the desk AND the 6 chairs for less than $400. The desk was already in fairly worn once we bought it and we figured we might refinish it, finally. Properly, after years of imposing our personal put on and tear on the desk, we FINALLY acquired round to it as a result of we discovered some superb Mohawk merchandise that allowed us to do it with out stripping and really, very restricted sanding (solely to sand off the tiny spots of fingernail polish I had gotten on the table-#oops). YAY! The undertaking took me about 3 hours, begin to end. If I had identified it was going to be that straightforward, I’d have achieved it a very long time in the past.
First, let me present you the way our desk regarded earlier than I refinished it.
The perimeters have been past “worn,” the wax end was splotchy and the surfaces have been simply plain beat up!
Steps to Refinish a Desk
1) Our desk had an current wax end, so we needed to take away it first through the use of Mohawk’s Wax Wash Remover. I merely sprayed it on and wiped it off. It took about 4 minutes to wash your complete desk. Straightforward, peasy! The spray does let off some fumes, so open some home windows if you’re working inside like I used to be.
Apparently we’re filthy animals as a result of take a look at what I cleaned off our desk. #donotjudgemeplease
Read more: How to make strong coffee for tiramisu
2) Subsequent, I spot sanded the tiny splotches of fingernail polish off the desk. Let me be clear that you just ABSOLUTELY DO NOT NEED TO SAND until you might be like me and have little bits of paint in your desk. Most individuals in all probability shield their desk higher than I do 🙂
3) Then I touched up the scratches and worn edges with the Mohawk Extremely Contact-Up Marker. This half is simple! In case you can shade with a marker, you are able to do this!
4) The subsequent step was my FAVORITE! I used the Mohawk Fast fill burn in stick to fill the deep gouges within the desk. UPDATE: Mohawk launched this Permafill set, which makes this course of even simpler.
Make certain that you might have already accomplished step 3-you need your gouge to be as near the colour of your desk as potential earlier than you employ the Fast fill burn in stick. Here’s a hyperlink to an instruction video tutorial. Let me let you know, I feel it is even simpler than the video makes it look. You simply use your wood-burning device to warmth up the burn in stick, in order that little melted drops drip off. Then use the tip of your scorching device to ensure the melted liquid is within the gouge, ensuring to faucet it together with your device to do away with any air bubbles. Permit it to dry for at the very least 30 seconds. Don’t worry about any additional drips in your table-they will come proper off!
Subsequent, use the plastic leveling device that comes with the follow take away the surplus fill. You merely place the aspect with the horizontal ridges on prime of the fill and gently rub it backwards and forwards till the crammed gouge is totally stage with the floor of your desk.
5) I used the Wax Wash Remover to wash the desk another time earlier than I moved on to staining.
6) Lastly, it was time to stain! Y’all, this Mohawk Wiping Wooden Stain is AH-MAZING. It’s totally, very skinny, so take care when working with it, as a result of it does splatter simply. I painted mine on with a foam brush and wiped it off virtually instantly with paper towels. I utilized one coat. This stain additionally lets off a whole lot of fumes, so once more, remember to work in a well-ventilated space!
7) Lastly, I utilized 2 coats of a tung oil end, which was too shiny for my style, so I adopted it with two coats of satin, wipe-on polyurethane.
Able to see the outcomes?! I’m SO THRILLED with the way it turned out!
Read more: How to make the best english breakfast tea
Take a look at how nice these previous gouges look now! You’ll be able to barely see them.
The worn edges are gone!
And I can not recover from how superb the pedestal base appears now. I believed it was past restore!
Wish to see the total eating reveal? Click on right here to see all the main points! However here is a sneak peek for now 🙂
And one final have a look at the fantastically refreshed desk!
What do you suppose? Are you rather less intimated about refinishing a bit of furnishings now? I hope so! Wish to be taught extra about DIY furnishings therapies? We rejuvenated two lovely chairs with loopy easy this tutorial. I’ve additionally painted plenty of furnishings to provide it a very new look! Take a look at these superior tutorials: Methods to Paint Furnishings With Chalk Ornamental Paint: A Step-by-Step Information and DIY Furnishings Restoration Tutorial.
Earlier than you head out and get began, remember to take a look at all of the free guides, data, printable, and extra that my VIPs get! Subscribe right now and get entry to all of them in a single handy digital library.
Read more: How to make coffee in a microwave