My biggest challenge when cooking weekday dinners is coming up with a side dish. Often, I can have a great idea for a quick main dish but would have no clue as to what to make for a quick side dish. When stuck, my solution is a mixed vegetable stir fry. My favorite recipe is as healthy as it is delicious. Are you vegan, vegetarian, or simply on a keto, paleo or a low carb diet? Then this mixed vegetable stir fry recipe is for you too.
How is this mixed vegetable stir fry made?
The preparation process is super simple:
- Blanch vegetables in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a wok.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes with a little bit of fragrant sesame oil and garlic to give it flavor.
Why does this recipe work?
- Quick blanching softens vegetables just a little but still leaves some desirable crunch. It also leaves most of the vitamins preserved.
- Add a few drops of oil in the water and the vegetables will preserve their natural colors that won’t fade.
- A quick stir fry with garlic and sesame oil gives the vegetables an mind-blowing aroma.
- Hands-on time? Ten-fifteen minutes for prep and 5 minutes cooking time.
What vegetables to use?
My favorite vegetable to include in the stir fry are:
- Green beans
- Brussels sprouts
The choice of vegetables will often depend on what I have on hand. The list is by no means comprehensive and can be easily expanded to include many other great vegetables.