Zucchini stir fry made under 15 mins. This stir fried zucchini tastes delicious and goes well as a side with any meal. It can also be used as a filling in wraps, kathi rolls and sandwiches. I make stir fry dishes with most veggies as they are super quick to make. This one is often on our menu.
It is minimally spiced and flavored so it is kids’ friendly too. Here are my tips and substitutes for the recipe.
Reading: how to stir fry zuccini
Tips to make
Zucchini: Choose firm zucchini and avoid soft ones. Soft zucchini have soft pulp inside which is inedible.
Onions: Onion can be substituted with spring onions. You can also skip them completely.
Vegetables: I have used bell peppers here as we like their flavor with zucchini. You may skip them or add any other veggies like mushrooms, carrots or pumpkin. If using pumpkin stir fry until slightly tender, then add the zucchini.
Flavoring: Zucchini stir fried on a high flame with some oil, garlic, bell peppers and black pepper smells great. It doesn’t need any other flavoring. But this time I also used soya sauce & apple cider vinegar. You may skip them completely if you do not prefer.
For spice & heat: I have used black pepper. You can also add chopped green chili or dried red chili for extra heat.
A wok or a cast iron skillet works good for this stir fry.
- Rinse all the veggies under running water. Fine chop ginger and garlic. Slice onions & bell peppers thin. You can chop zucchini however you like. I prefer to chop them to 1/4 inch thick. If you slice them too thin they will overcook and turn too soft in no time.
How to stir fry zucchini
- Heat oil in a wok or wide skillet. Add chopped garlic and ginger. Fry for just 20 to 30 seconds.
2. Then add the sliced onions and fry until transparent.
3. Add bell peppers and fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add zucchini and stir fry just for 2 to 3 mins. Do not over cook them, they should be half done and crunchy.
5. Add soya sauce, vinegar and black pepper. Stir fry just for 30 seconds until you begin to smell it good. Turn off the stove and add salt. Mix it. You can adjust salt and black pepper to your taste.
6. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds or roasted and crushed peanuts.
Serve stir fried zucchini as a side or wrap it in your rolls or sandwiches.
Similar stir fry recipesCabbage stir frySweet Potato stir fryBroccoli potato stir fryIndian style Tofu stir fryZucchini curry