This better than takeout sesame chicken is a healthy recipe in which the chicken is stir-fried using less oil than the battered and fried version. Make it juicy and saucy with a secret ingredient low-sugar sauce that has tons of flavor!
Is sesame chicken healthy?
Takeout sesame chicken is usually coated with batter and deep-fried, then mixed with a sweet sauce to get you addicted. With this recipe, you’ll learn how to make an easy stir-fried sesame chicken that has the same (addictive) results with a few tricks I’ll be telling you in a few minutes. Once you learn that, you’ll never deep-fry your chicken again!
The only thing you’ll miss in this sesame garlic chicken recipe is the crispiness (and the added calories). That’s more than compensated by soft and melt-in-your-mouth chicken achieved by tenderizing and marinating it in the sauce before stir-frying. I bet you’ll eventually find this low-calorie recipe more delicious than the fried one.
This is another addition to my easy chicken recipes with a few basic ingredients. For a quick and easy dinner, serve this sesame chicken with plain boiled rice. Make it a healthy Asian dinner recipe, by doubling the chicken marinade and using the other half to stir-fry vegetables. This is an absolute time-saving method that I recommended for scrambled tofu stir fry, too.
How to tenderize chicken breast with baking soda
This is a very easy way to tenderize boneless chicken breasts. After a bit of research and trying various techniques from brining to soaking, I found this to be the most effective. You will be blown away by the difference it makes to the chicken breast!
Clean and chop the chicken breast into 1-1/2 inch cubes. For every 250 grams of chicken, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix well and allow it to soak. After 20 to 30 minutes, rinse the chicken a couple of times. That’s it! Your chicken is now tenderized and ready to be stir-fried, baked, sauteed, or whatever you want to do with it.
This not only works for stir-fries like the chicken in fried Bee hoon recipe or stir-fried chicken with red rice but also for other forms of cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts like easy baked chicken breasts. Since these baked breasts are already tender and juicy, you may not find much of a difference, but it makes a WORLD of difference to stir-fried chicken!
Ingredients for sesame chicken marinade
- Oyster sauce: This is the secret ingredient that gives this sesame chicken its characteristic mouth-watering flavor, color and saucy consistency.
- Soy sauce: One of the basic ingredients for Asian stir-fries. Low sodium soy sauce is better if you can find it. If not, use the regular one.
- Rice vinegar: For a splash of tang.
- Sesame oil: Gives the final glaze to the sauce.
- Red chilli flakes: This is a moderately spicy sesame chicken recipe. Adjust the quantity according to taste.
- Black pepper and salt: Though we use soy sauce, a dash of salt and pepper makes a difference to the flavor of the sauce.
- Brown sugar: Just a little to balance the spices. You can replace brown sugar with honey to make this a honey sesame chicken stir-fry.
Other stir-fry ingredients
- Peanut oil for frying.
- Lots of Garlic for the aroma.
- Sesame seeds for garnish. (after all, it is sesame chicken!)
- Chinese parsley for garnishing. Green onions can be used instead.
Marinate tenderized chicken with the sauce for about 15 minutes.
Heat peanut oil in a wok or deep pan. Stir-fry garlic for about 2 minutes until you get a pleasant aroma. Do not let it brown. Add marinated chicken cubes.
Stir-fry for 5 minutes on high heat. Now comes the important step: Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water and stir-fry for 5 more minutes. Repeat with 2 more tablespoons of water and stir-fry for 5 more minutes. This process first browns chicken on the outside then adding water steams and cooks the chicken thoroughly, while making it soft and juicy. This is the secret to a good stir-fried chicken.
Garnish with sesame seeds and parsley. Enjoy with a bowl of rice.
Additions and substitutions
- A teaspoon of finely chopped ginger can be added with garlic.
- Green onions can be substituted for Chinese parsley for garnishing.
- For greater “umami” (a glamorous word for meaty!) flavor, add a teaspoon of ground dry mushrooms. I’ve explained how to make it in Singapore street noodles recipe.
- My favorite hack to turn this into a stir-fried chicken recipe with vegetables: Double the amount of sauce and add vegetables like bok choy, carrots, bell peppers and baby corn. Marinate chicken as above with half the sauce. After cooking the marinated chicken for 5 to 10 minutes, add vegetables and fry for 5 minutes. Finally add the other half of the sauce and stir-fry for 5 more minutes until everything comes together. Garnish and serve.
Tips to make the best sesame chicken stir-fry
- Do not skip the tenderizing step. That’s what makes this a great stir-fry recipe.
- The entire stir-frying process should be done on high flame. If you feel that chicken is getting burnt, sprinkle water or feel free to add a little oil.
- A pinch of salt and pepper enhances the flavor. (I used to think that soy sauce can replace salt, but salt does make a difference!)
Looking for more chicken recipes?
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2021